Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Peat Bog, Poolewe
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0861
PLACENAME
Poolewe
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32779
KEYWORDS
postcards
bogs
landscapes
illustrations
Peat Bog, Poolewe

This illustrated postcard shows a view of a peat bog at Poolewe, Ross-shire.

The village of Poolewe is situated at the head of Loch Ewe and generally enjoys a mild climate, due to the presence of the Gulf Stream. The growth of the village can be traced back at least to the 17th century. At this time it was home to an iron furnace used to smelt ore. The industry did not last very long as the forests became depleted in the area but Poolewe was still one of the most significant ports on the west coast of Scotland

A mail service to Stornoway ran from the village by the end of the 18th century and Poolewe was also the point of entry for cattle from Lewis and Harris. By 1849 a steamer service ran from Poolewe to the Western Isles and two years later the village saw further development with the construction of its first road.

Today, the attractive village of Poolewe is home to a campsite and a hotel. The area is popular with tourists due to the existence of Inverewe Gardens, situated by the shore of Loch Ewe

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Peat Bog, Poolewe

ROSS: Gairloch

postcards; bogs; landscapes; illustrations

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries - Illustrated postcards

This illustrated postcard shows a view of a peat bog at Poolewe, Ross-shire.<br /> <br /> The village of Poolewe is situated at the head of Loch Ewe and generally enjoys a mild climate, due to the presence of the Gulf Stream. The growth of the village can be traced back at least to the 17th century. At this time it was home to an iron furnace used to smelt ore. The industry did not last very long as the forests became depleted in the area but Poolewe was still one of the most significant ports on the west coast of Scotland <br /> <br /> A mail service to Stornoway ran from the village by the end of the 18th century and Poolewe was also the point of entry for cattle from Lewis and Harris. By 1849 a steamer service ran from Poolewe to the Western Isles and two years later the village saw further development with the construction of its first road.<br /> <br /> Today, the attractive village of Poolewe is home to a campsite and a hotel. The area is popular with tourists due to the existence of Inverewe Gardens, situated by the shore of Loch Ewe