Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mouth of River Ewe, Poolewe
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0863
PLACENAME
Poolewe
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32781
KEYWORDS
postcards
rivers
lochs
navy
Royal Navy
smelting
ports
tourism
Mouth of River Ewe, Poolewe

This postcard shows the mouth of the River Ewe at Poolewe in Ross-shire. Loch Ewe can be seen in the background. The loch is approximately ten miles long and is fed by the River Ewe that flows from nearby Loch Maree. Loch Ewe was an important naval base during the World Wars.

The village of Poolewe is situated at the head of Loch Ewe and generally enjoys a mild climate, due to the presence of the Gulf Stream. The growth of the village of Poolewe can be traced back to at least the 17th century. At this time the village was home to an iron furnace, used to smelt ore. Although the industry did not last very long due to depleting forests in the area, Poolewe was still one of the most significant ports on the west coast of Scotland A mail service to Stornoway ran from the village by the end of the 18th century and Poolewe was also the point of entry for cattle from Lewis and Harris. By 1849 a steamer service ran from Poolewe to the Western Isles and two years later the village saw further development with the construction of its first road.

Today, the attractive village of Poolewe is home to a campsite and a hotel. The area is popular with tourists due to the existence of Inverewe Gardens, situated by the shores of Loch Ewe

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mouth of River Ewe, Poolewe

ROSS: Gairloch

1950s

postcards; rivers; lochs; navy; Royal Navy; smelting; ports; tourism

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the mouth of the River Ewe at Poolewe in Ross-shire. Loch Ewe can be seen in the background. The loch is approximately ten miles long and is fed by the River Ewe that flows from nearby Loch Maree. Loch Ewe was an important naval base during the World Wars.<br /> <br /> The village of Poolewe is situated at the head of Loch Ewe and generally enjoys a mild climate, due to the presence of the Gulf Stream. The growth of the village of Poolewe can be traced back to at least the 17th century. At this time the village was home to an iron furnace, used to smelt ore. Although the industry did not last very long due to depleting forests in the area, Poolewe was still one of the most significant ports on the west coast of Scotland A mail service to Stornoway ran from the village by the end of the 18th century and Poolewe was also the point of entry for cattle from Lewis and Harris. By 1849 a steamer service ran from Poolewe to the Western Isles and two years later the village saw further development with the construction of its first road.<br /> <br /> Today, the attractive village of Poolewe is home to a campsite and a hotel. The area is popular with tourists due to the existence of Inverewe Gardens, situated by the shores of Loch Ewe