Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
River Ewe, Poolewe and Loch Ewe
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0865
PLACENAME
Poolewe
DISTRICT
Gairloch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Gairloch
PERIOD
1900s; 1910s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32783
KEYWORDS
postcards
rivers
lochs
Loch Maree
Loch Ewe
River Ewe
naval base
navy
Royal Navy
Gulf Stream
smelting
ore smelting
ports
Inverewe Gardens
River Ewe, Poolewe and Loch Ewe

This postcard shows the River Ewe, Loch Ewe and the village of Poolewe. The loch is approximately ten miles long and is fed by the River Ewe that flows from nearby Loch Maree. Loch Ewe was an important naval base during the World Wars.

The village of Poolewe is situated at the head of Loch Ewe and generally enjoys a mild climate, due to the presence of the Gulf Stream. The growth of the village of Poolewe can be traced back at least to the 17th century. At this time the village was home to an iron furnace, used to smelt ore. Although the industry did not last very long due to depleting forests in the area, Poolewe was still one of the most significant ports on the west coast of Scotland. A mail service to Stornoway ran from the village by the end of the 18th century and Poolewe was also the point of entry for cattle from Lewis and Harris. By 1849 a steamer service ran from Poolewe to the Western Isles and two years later the village saw further development with the construction of its first road.

Today, the attractive village of Poolewe is home to a campsite and a hotel. The area is popular with tourists due to the existence of Inverewe Gardens, situated by the shore of Loch Ewe

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

River Ewe, Poolewe and Loch Ewe

ROSS: Gairloch

1900s; 1910s

postcards; rivers; lochs; Loch Maree; Loch Ewe; River Ewe; naval base; navy; Royal Navy; Gulf Stream; smelting; ore smelting; ports; Inverewe Gardens

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the River Ewe, Loch Ewe and the village of Poolewe. The loch is approximately ten miles long and is fed by the River Ewe that flows from nearby Loch Maree. Loch Ewe was an important naval base during the World Wars.<br /> <br /> The village of Poolewe is situated at the head of Loch Ewe and generally enjoys a mild climate, due to the presence of the Gulf Stream. The growth of the village of Poolewe can be traced back at least to the 17th century. At this time the village was home to an iron furnace, used to smelt ore. Although the industry did not last very long due to depleting forests in the area, Poolewe was still one of the most significant ports on the west coast of Scotland. A mail service to Stornoway ran from the village by the end of the 18th century and Poolewe was also the point of entry for cattle from Lewis and Harris. By 1849 a steamer service ran from Poolewe to the Western Isles and two years later the village saw further development with the construction of its first road.<br /> <br /> Today, the attractive village of Poolewe is home to a campsite and a hotel. The area is popular with tourists due to the existence of Inverewe Gardens, situated by the shore of Loch Ewe