Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portmahomack beach, Easter Ross
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0871
PLACENAME
Portmahomack
DISTRICT
Fearn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Tarbat
PERIOD
1950s; 1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32789
KEYWORDS
postcards
beaches
fishing industry
fisher towns
tourism
Picts
Pictish settlements
St. Colmac
christianity
Old Tarbat Parish Church
Thomas Telford
harbours
Portmahomack beach, Easter Ross

This postcard shows Portmahomack beach in Easter Ross. The beach is a popular place for water sports and dolphin watching. Along with Portmahomack's golf course and traditional harbour it attracts many tourists to the village.

There is evidence that early settlements have existed at Portmahomack since about 1000-2000BC. Home to a Pictish monastery in the 6th and 7th centuries, early Christian carved stones dating from the 8th and 9th centuries were also found in and around the village churchyard. It is believed that St Colmac arrived at Portmahomack and established a priory in AD975. Another church replaced the priory in 1255 and this was superseded in 1756 by what is now known as the Old Tarbat Parish Church.

In the 19th century Portmahomack developed into an important fishing village. Thomas Telford built a harbour here that became home to over 1000 fishing boats during the peak of the fishing industry. Today its traditional harbour remains but the majority of the fishing boats have now gone and pleasure boats berth at the port

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portmahomack beach, Easter Ross

ROSS: Tarbat

1950s; 1960s

postcards; beaches; fishing industry; fisher towns; tourism; Picts; Pictish settlements; St. Colmac; christianity; Old Tarbat Parish Church; Thomas Telford; harbours

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Portmahomack beach in Easter Ross. The beach is a popular place for water sports and dolphin watching. Along with Portmahomack's golf course and traditional harbour it attracts many tourists to the village.<br /> <br /> There is evidence that early settlements have existed at Portmahomack since about 1000-2000BC. Home to a Pictish monastery in the 6th and 7th centuries, early Christian carved stones dating from the 8th and 9th centuries were also found in and around the village churchyard. It is believed that St Colmac arrived at Portmahomack and established a priory in AD975. Another church replaced the priory in 1255 and this was superseded in 1756 by what is now known as the Old Tarbat Parish Church.<br /> <br /> In the 19th century Portmahomack developed into an important fishing village. Thomas Telford built a harbour here that became home to over 1000 fishing boats during the peak of the fishing industry. Today its traditional harbour remains but the majority of the fishing boats have now gone and pleasure boats berth at the port