Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Rosemarkie
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0893
PLACENAME
Rosemarkie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32815
KEYWORDS
postcards
Picts
Pictish stones
Groam Museum
St Boniface
Cathedral of Ross
churches
cathedrals
saints
Rosemarkie Parish church
burghs
linen
salmon
fishing
Fairy Glen
beaches
Rosemarkie

This postcard shows the path by the sea at Rosemarkie in Ross-shire. In the distance is Rosemarkie Parish Church.

There is evidence that a Pictish settlement once existed at Rosemarkie during the 8th century. More than 12 Pictish stones were found around the village churchyard and are now housed at the Groam Museum in the village.

The Pictish inhabitants of Rosemarkie are believed to have been evangelised by St. Boniface in the early 8th century although there is evidence of an earlier Christian settlement here in the 7th century. In 1125, on the same site as the monastery founded by St. Boniface, the first Cathedral of Ross was built. The village's Parish Church, built between 1818 and 1821, now dominates the site. Rosemarkie was granted burgh status in the early 13th century and shared Royal Burgh status with Fortrose from 1455.

During the 18th and 19th centuries Rosemarkie's main industries included linen production and salmon fishing. Today the village has much to offer tourism, including the Groam Museum, wooded walks leading to waterfalls through the Fairy Glen and a beautiful secluded beach

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Rosemarkie

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1930s; 1940s

postcards; Picts; Pictish stones; Groam Museum; St Boniface; Cathedral of Ross; churches; cathedrals; saints; Rosemarkie Parish church; burghs; linen; salmon; fishing; Fairy Glen; beaches

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the path by the sea at Rosemarkie in Ross-shire. In the distance is Rosemarkie Parish Church.<br /> <br /> There is evidence that a Pictish settlement once existed at Rosemarkie during the 8th century. More than 12 Pictish stones were found around the village churchyard and are now housed at the Groam Museum in the village. <br /> <br /> The Pictish inhabitants of Rosemarkie are believed to have been evangelised by St. Boniface in the early 8th century although there is evidence of an earlier Christian settlement here in the 7th century. In 1125, on the same site as the monastery founded by St. Boniface, the first Cathedral of Ross was built. The village's Parish Church, built between 1818 and 1821, now dominates the site. Rosemarkie was granted burgh status in the early 13th century and shared Royal Burgh status with Fortrose from 1455.<br /> <br /> During the 18th and 19th centuries Rosemarkie's main industries included linen production and salmon fishing. Today the village has much to offer tourism, including the Groam Museum, wooded walks leading to waterfalls through the Fairy Glen and a beautiful secluded beach