Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
General view of Rosemarkie

This postcard shows a general view of the village of Rosemarkie in Ross-shire. In the centre of the postcard is shown the village's Parish Church.

There is evidence that a Pictish settlement once existed at Rosemarkie during the 8th century. More than 12 Pictish stones were found around the village churchyard and are now housed at the Groam Museum in the village.

The Pictish inhabitants of Rosemarkie are believed to have been evangelised by St. Boniface in the early 8th century, although there is evidence of an earlier Christian settlement here in the 7th century. In 1125, on the same site as the monastery founded by St. Boniface, the first Cathedral of Ross was built. The village's Parish Church (centre), built between 1818 and 1821, now dominates the site. Rosemarkie was granted burgh status in the early 13th century and shared Royal Burgh status with Fortrose from 1455.

During the 18th and 19th centuries Rosemarkie's main industries included linen production and salmon fishing. Today the village has much to offer tourism, including the Groam Museum, wooded walks leading to waterfalls through the Fairy Glen and a beautiful secluded beach

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

General view of Rosemarkie

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1960s

postcards; Picts; Pictish stones; Groam Museum; St Boniface; Cathedral of Ross; churches; cathedrals; saints; Rosemarkie Parish church; burghs; linen; salmon; fishing; Fairy Glen; beaches

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a general view of the village of Rosemarkie in Ross-shire. In the centre of the postcard is shown the village's Parish Church.<br /> <br /> There is evidence that a Pictish settlement once existed at Rosemarkie during the 8th century. More than 12 Pictish stones were found around the village churchyard and are now housed at the Groam Museum in the village. <br /> <br /> The Pictish inhabitants of Rosemarkie are believed to have been evangelised by St. Boniface in the early 8th century, although there is evidence of an earlier Christian settlement here in the 7th century. In 1125, on the same site as the monastery founded by St. Boniface, the first Cathedral of Ross was built. The village's Parish Church (centre), built between 1818 and 1821, now dominates the site. Rosemarkie was granted burgh status in the early 13th century and shared Royal Burgh status with Fortrose from 1455.<br /> <br /> During the 18th and 19th centuries Rosemarkie's main industries included linen production and salmon fishing. Today the village has much to offer tourism, including the Groam Museum, wooded walks leading to waterfalls through the Fairy Glen and a beautiful secluded beach