Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Rosemarkie Beach and golf course
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0901
PLACENAME
Rosemarkie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosemarkie
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32823
KEYWORDS
postcards
Picts
churches
cathedrals
saints
golf
golf courses
Kenneth Mackenzie
Coinneach Odhar
Seer of Kintail
witches
prophets
witchcraft
villages
museums
Rosemarkie Beach and golf course

This postcard shows the beach and golf course at Rosemarkie in Ross-shire. In the foreground is Rosemarkie Parish Church (1818-21). Pictish stones were once found in and around the churchyard, giving evidence of the existence of a Pictish settlement there during the 8th and 9th centuries. The stones are now housed at the Groam House Museum on Rosemarkie High Street.

The Pictish inhabitants of Rosemarkie are believed to have been evangelised by St. Boniface in the early 8th century, although there is evidence of an earlier Christian settlement at Rosemarkie in the 7th century. On the ground where the parish church now sits, a monastery was founded by St. Boniface and in 1125 the same site was used to build the first Cathedral of Ross.

The golf course at Rosemarkie was founded by James Braid in 1888. It was built at Chanonry Point on the promontory leading out to Rosemarkie lighthouse (top left). The road to the lighthouse splits the course in two. Chanonry Point has the reputation of being the location where 'The Brahan Seer', a famous Highland prophet accused of witchcraft, was burned to death in a barrel of boiling tar.

Rosemarkie beach, the golf course and the Groam House Museum all contribute to the facilities that Rosemarkie offers to tourists during the summer months

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Rosemarkie Beach and golf course

ROSS: Rosemarkie

1930s; 1940s

postcards; Picts; churches; cathedrals; saints; golf; golf courses; Kenneth Mackenzie; Coinneach Odhar; Seer of Kintail; witches; prophets; witchcraft; villages; museums

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the beach and golf course at Rosemarkie in Ross-shire. In the foreground is Rosemarkie Parish Church (1818-21). Pictish stones were once found in and around the churchyard, giving evidence of the existence of a Pictish settlement there during the 8th and 9th centuries. The stones are now housed at the Groam House Museum on Rosemarkie High Street.<br /> <br /> The Pictish inhabitants of Rosemarkie are believed to have been evangelised by St. Boniface in the early 8th century, although there is evidence of an earlier Christian settlement at Rosemarkie in the 7th century. On the ground where the parish church now sits, a monastery was founded by St. Boniface and in 1125 the same site was used to build the first Cathedral of Ross.<br /> <br /> The golf course at Rosemarkie was founded by James Braid in 1888. It was built at Chanonry Point on the promontory leading out to Rosemarkie lighthouse (top left). The road to the lighthouse splits the course in two. Chanonry Point has the reputation of being the location where 'The Brahan Seer', a famous Highland prophet accused of witchcraft, was burned to death in a barrel of boiling tar.<br /> <br /> Rosemarkie beach, the golf course and the Groam House Museum all contribute to the facilities that Rosemarkie offers to tourists during the summer months