Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Glenfinnan Monument
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0995
PLACENAME
Glenfinnan
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32916
KEYWORDS
postcards
lochs
Charles Edward Stuart
Bonnie Prince Charlie
Jacobites
Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale
John Greenshields
Lochiel
Camerons
National Trust for Scotland
Glenfinnan Monument

This postcard shows the Glenfinnan Monument at Loch Shiel in the district of Lochaber. The 18m high, round, battlemented tower was erected in 1815 by Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale to commemorate the start of the Jacobite rising seventy years previously, and in tribute to the clansmen who fought and died in the cause of Prince Charles Edward Stuart. In 1834 Angus MacDonald of Glenaladale placed the stone statue by John Greenshields showing Prince Charles looking to the east from where Locheil and the Camerons came to join his cause. The monument was taken over by the National Trust for Scotland in 1938

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Glenfinnan Monument

INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart

1960s

postcards; lochs; Charles Edward Stuart; Bonnie Prince Charlie; Jacobites; Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale; John Greenshields; Lochiel; Camerons; National Trust for Scotland

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the Glenfinnan Monument at Loch Shiel in the district of Lochaber. The 18m high, round, battlemented tower was erected in 1815 by Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale to commemorate the start of the Jacobite rising seventy years previously, and in tribute to the clansmen who fought and died in the cause of Prince Charles Edward Stuart. In 1834 Angus MacDonald of Glenaladale placed the stone statue by John Greenshields showing Prince Charles looking to the east from where Locheil and the Camerons came to join his cause. The monument was taken over by the National Trust for Scotland in 1938