Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Prince Charlie's Monument, Loch Shiel
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_0999
PLACENAME
Glenfinnan; Loch Shiel
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart
PERIOD
1940s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32920
KEYWORDS
postcards
lochs
Charles Edward Stuart
Bonnie Prince Charlie
Jacobites
Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale
John Greenshields
Lochiel
Camerons
National Trust for Scotland
Prince Charlie's Monument, Loch Shiel

This postcard shows a view of Prince Charlie's Monument at the head of Loch Shiel, in the district of Lochaber.

The 18m high, round, battlemented tower was erected in 1815 by Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale to commemorate the start of the Jacobite rising seventy years previously, and in tribute to the clansmen who fought and died in the cause of the Prince. MacDonald was the grandson of the Prince's host on the night before the Rising. In 1834 the stone statue of a kilted soldier (not the Prince, as is often thought) was added by stone mason John Greenshields of Carluke. The monument was taken over by the National Trust for Scotland in 1938.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Prince Charlie's Monument, Loch Shiel

INVERNESS: Arisaig and Moidart

1940s

postcards; lochs; Charles Edward Stuart; Bonnie Prince Charlie; Jacobites; Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale; John Greenshields; Lochiel; Camerons; National Trust for Scotland

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of Prince Charlie's Monument at the head of Loch Shiel, in the district of Lochaber. <br /> <br /> The 18m high, round, battlemented tower was erected in 1815 by Alexander MacDonald of Glenaladale to commemorate the start of the Jacobite rising seventy years previously, and in tribute to the clansmen who fought and died in the cause of the Prince. MacDonald was the grandson of the Prince's host on the night before the Rising. In 1834 the stone statue of a kilted soldier (not the Prince, as is often thought) was added by stone mason John Greenshields of Carluke. The monument was taken over by the National Trust for Scotland in 1938.