Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Inverbreakie Road, Invergordon
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1016
PLACENAME
Invergordon
DISTRICT
Invergordon
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosskeen
PERIOD
1900s; 1910s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32937
KEYWORDS
postcards
Sir William Gordon of Embo
Inverbreakie
MacLeods of Cadboll
firths
Royal Navy
naval base
Home Fleet
oil
oil industry
Ross and Cromarty Enterprise
Inverbreakie Road, Invergordon

This postcard shows Inverbreakie Road at Invergordon. The road presumably took its title from the original name of the settlement here, Inverbreakie.

Invergordon was named after Caithness born Sir William Gordon of Embo, who purchased the estate during the 18th century. Previous to this, the settlement was known as Inverbreakie. Although Sir William laid out plans for the building of a town at Inverbreakie, it was his son, Sir John, who brought the plans into action. It was not until the estate passed into the hands of the MacLeods of Cadboll that a harbour was built at Invergordon and the town saw rapid growth.

Invergordon's proximity to the Cromarty Firth has made it an ideal anchorage for ships. Its links with the Royal Navy date back to the 19th century and by the 20th century it was classed as an official base, playing host to the Home Fleet on many an occasion. During the First World War Invergordon retained its position as a naval base, providing fuel and water for the Royal Navy.

The naval base at Invergordon finally closed in 1956 but the town saw further development during the 1970s through the oil industry. Its close proximity to North Sea oilfields made the area an ideal location for oilrig construction and maintenance to take place. An aluminium smelter was also based at Invergordon during the 1970's and although this closed just after a decade, it brought major employment to the area. Today, Invergordon is home to Ross and Cromarty Enterprise.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Inverbreakie Road, Invergordon

ROSS: Rosskeen

1900s; 1910s

postcards; Sir William Gordon of Embo; Inverbreakie; MacLeods of Cadboll; firths; Royal Navy; naval base; Home Fleet; oil; oil industry; Ross and Cromarty Enterprise

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries - Illustrated postcards

This postcard shows Inverbreakie Road at Invergordon. The road presumably took its title from the original name of the settlement here, Inverbreakie.<br /> <br /> Invergordon was named after Caithness born Sir William Gordon of Embo, who purchased the estate during the 18th century. Previous to this, the settlement was known as Inverbreakie. Although Sir William laid out plans for the building of a town at Inverbreakie, it was his son, Sir John, who brought the plans into action. It was not until the estate passed into the hands of the MacLeods of Cadboll that a harbour was built at Invergordon and the town saw rapid growth.<br /> <br /> Invergordon's proximity to the Cromarty Firth has made it an ideal anchorage for ships. Its links with the Royal Navy date back to the 19th century and by the 20th century it was classed as an official base, playing host to the Home Fleet on many an occasion. During the First World War Invergordon retained its position as a naval base, providing fuel and water for the Royal Navy. <br /> <br /> The naval base at Invergordon finally closed in 1956 but the town saw further development during the 1970s through the oil industry. Its close proximity to North Sea oilfields made the area an ideal location for oilrig construction and maintenance to take place. An aluminium smelter was also based at Invergordon during the 1970's and although this closed just after a decade, it brought major employment to the area. Today, Invergordon is home to Ross and Cromarty Enterprise.