Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Views of Invergordon, Easter Ross

This postcard shows several views of the town of Invergordon, in Easter Ross. The top left view is Invergordon Castle, once situated about a mile north of the town of Invergordon. Designed by Dr. Alexander Ross and commissioned by the MacLeods of Cadboll, it was built in 1872 on the site of an older castle that was destroyed by fire. In 1928, the proprietor of the castle, Sir William Martineau of Kincraig, ordered its demolition due to increasing financial constraints.

The top centre view shows the United Free Church at the top of Castle Road. Built in 1861, the building is now the Church of Scotland. Bottom right is a view of Invergordon High Street. The ornate building in the far left of the view is Invergordon Town Hall and playhouse.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Views of Invergordon, Easter Ross

ROSS: Rosskeen

postcards; Invergordon Castle; castles; Dr. Alexander Ross; MacLeods of Cadboll; Sir William Martineau of Kincraig; Untied Free Church; churches; Church of Scotland; town halls; playhouses; cinemas; theatres

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries - Illustrated postcards

This postcard shows several views of the town of Invergordon, in Easter Ross. The top left view is Invergordon Castle, once situated about a mile north of the town of Invergordon. Designed by Dr. Alexander Ross and commissioned by the MacLeods of Cadboll, it was built in 1872 on the site of an older castle that was destroyed by fire. In 1928, the proprietor of the castle, Sir William Martineau of Kincraig, ordered its demolition due to increasing financial constraints.<br /> <br /> The top centre view shows the United Free Church at the top of Castle Road. Built in 1861, the building is now the Church of Scotland. Bottom right is a view of Invergordon High Street. The ornate building in the far left of the view is Invergordon Town Hall and playhouse.