Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Invergordon United Free Church
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1052
PLACENAME
Invergordon
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Rosskeen
PERIOD
1890s; 1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
32973
KEYWORDS
postcards
Sir William Gordon of Embo
Inverbreakie
Sir John Gordon of Embo
MacLeods of Cadboll
churches
Invergordon United Free Church

This postcard shows a view of the Invergordon United Free Church, on Castle Road. Built in 1861, it is now the Church of Scotland.

Invergordon was named after Caithness born Sir William Gordon of Embo, who purchased the estate during the 18th century. Previous to this, the settlement was known as Inverbreakie. Although Sir William laid out plans for the building of a town at Inverbreakie, it was his son, Sir John, who brought the plans into action. It was not until the estate passed into the hands of the MacLeods of Cadboll that a harbour was built at Invergordon and the town saw rapid growth.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Invergordon United Free Church

ROSS: Rosskeen

1890s; 1900s

postcards; Sir William Gordon of Embo; Inverbreakie; Sir John Gordon of Embo; MacLeods of Cadboll; churches

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of the Invergordon United Free Church, on Castle Road. Built in 1861, it is now the Church of Scotland.<br /> <br /> Invergordon was named after Caithness born Sir William Gordon of Embo, who purchased the estate during the 18th century. Previous to this, the settlement was known as Inverbreakie. Although Sir William laid out plans for the building of a town at Inverbreakie, it was his son, Sir John, who brought the plans into action. It was not until the estate passed into the hands of the MacLeods of Cadboll that a harbour was built at Invergordon and the town saw rapid growth.