Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kyle of Lochalsh and Kyleakin
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1106
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1910s; 1920s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33026
KEYWORDS
postcards
ferries
Skye Bridge
Kyle of Lochalsh and Kyleakin

This postcard shows Kyle of Lochalsh and Kyleakin. There has been a ferry service of some sort from Kyle to Kyleakin at least since the 19th century. The population of Kyle and the numbers of visitors using the route increased substantially after the coming of the railway in 1897. Until the mid-1930s, only one car at a time could be transported across the strait.

By the 1950s, the ferries between Kyle and Kyleakin operated from 8.00am to 8.45pm October to April, and 8.00am to 9.45pm May to September. They operated all year, but not on Sundays, and the cost for a return journey for a motor car, in 1956, was 16/-. Today the ferry is no longer in public use due to the building of the Skye Bridge, linking the island to the mainland.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kyle of Lochalsh and Kyleakin

ROSS: Lochalsh

1910s; 1920s

postcards; ferries; Skye Bridge

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Kyle of Lochalsh and Kyleakin. There has been a ferry service of some sort from Kyle to Kyleakin at least since the 19th century. The population of Kyle and the numbers of visitors using the route increased substantially after the coming of the railway in 1897. Until the mid-1930s, only one car at a time could be transported across the strait. <br /> <br /> By the 1950s, the ferries between Kyle and Kyleakin operated from 8.00am to 8.45pm October to April, and 8.00am to 9.45pm May to September. They operated all year, but not on Sundays, and the cost for a return journey for a motor car, in 1956, was 16/-. Today the ferry is no longer in public use due to the building of the Skye Bridge, linking the island to the mainland.