Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Railway Station, Kyle of Lochalsh
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1110
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1890s; 1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33030
KEYWORDS
postcards
railways
Dingwall and Skye Railway
stations
railway stations
train stations
Stromeferry
Railway Station, Kyle of Lochalsh

This postcard shows Kyle of Lochalsh Railway Station in Ross-shire. The station was built at the end of the pier at Kyle around 1897, to accommodate the Dingwall and Skye Railway. The railway had reached its first terminus at Strome Ferry ten years earlier and a temporary stop was made to the work when the company ran out of funds. This meant that Lochcarron was used as railhead and pier for the Hebrides.

The connection from Strome Ferry to Kyle was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken at that time, costing around £250,000. This was because a large amount of blasting was required to hew out 31 rock cuttings, and also because 29 bridges had to be built. The building of the ten-and-a-half-mile stretch took four years, almost as long as the 53 miles between Dingwall and Strome Ferry.

Before the coming of the railway, there were no more than three houses in Kyle. On the day of the first train, the bay took on the more elaborate name of 'Kyle of Lochalsh', and McBraynes celebrated the occasion by running a passenger boat from Portree. Kyle of Lochalsh grew in prosperity after the opening of the line and today it has a thriving community

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Railway Station, Kyle of Lochalsh

ROSS: Lochalsh

1890s; 1900s

postcards; railways; Dingwall and Skye Railway; stations; railway stations; train stations; Stromeferry

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Kyle of Lochalsh Railway Station in Ross-shire. The station was built at the end of the pier at Kyle around 1897, to accommodate the Dingwall and Skye Railway. The railway had reached its first terminus at Strome Ferry ten years earlier and a temporary stop was made to the work when the company ran out of funds. This meant that Lochcarron was used as railhead and pier for the Hebrides. <br /> <br /> The connection from Strome Ferry to Kyle was the most expensive stretch of railway engineering ever to be undertaken at that time, costing around £250,000. This was because a large amount of blasting was required to hew out 31 rock cuttings, and also because 29 bridges had to be built. The building of the ten-and-a-half-mile stretch took four years, almost as long as the 53 miles between Dingwall and Strome Ferry. <br /> <br /> Before the coming of the railway, there were no more than three houses in Kyle. On the day of the first train, the bay took on the more elaborate name of 'Kyle of Lochalsh', and McBraynes celebrated the occasion by running a passenger boat from Portree. Kyle of Lochalsh grew in prosperity after the opening of the line and today it has a thriving community