Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
St Anne's Episcopal Church, Strathpeffer Spa

This postcard shows St Anne's Episcopal Church in the village of Strathpeffer. It was built in the late 19th century to provide familiar services for visitors from the south attending the famous Strathpeffer Spa.

St Anne's was built as a sister church to St James' in Dingwall and the two remain closely linked. Designed by John Robertson, the church was built on land donated by Anne, Duchess of Sutherland and Countess of Cromartie, with stone quarried on her estate. The foundation stone was laid on 2 April 1891 and the church officially consecrated in 1900.

The bells at St. Anne's are a 'carillon' comprising eight tubular bells struck by wooden-headed hammers operated by one person. They were restored for the millennium by a member of the congregation. The pulpit is made of Caen stone and alabaster, while the high altar is of marble and alabaster and there are some stained glass windows.

St Anne's is associated with one of the prophecies of the Brahan Seer, who is said to have predicted that 'when five spires should rise in Strathpeffer, ships will sail over the village and anchor to them.' The proposal to build an Episcopal Church in Strathpeffer brought objections, for in the 19th century there were already four spires in the village. But the church was built anyway, complete with spire.

Shortly after World War 1, a small airship appeared at the Strathpeffer Games. In attempting to land, it dropped a grapnel which became entangled in one of the village spires, thus providing a fulfilment to the Brahan Seer's prophecy.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St Anne's Episcopal Church, Strathpeffer Spa

ROSS: Fodderty

1950s

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; churches; Scottish Episcopal Church; Episcopalian; Episcopalianism; spa towns; spa resorts; Coinneach Odhar; seers; second sight; predictions; foretelling; airships

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows St Anne's Episcopal Church in the village of Strathpeffer. It was built in the late 19th century to provide familiar services for visitors from the south attending the famous Strathpeffer Spa. <br /> <br /> St Anne's was built as a sister church to St James' in Dingwall and the two remain closely linked. Designed by John Robertson, the church was built on land donated by Anne, Duchess of Sutherland and Countess of Cromartie, with stone quarried on her estate. The foundation stone was laid on 2 April 1891 and the church officially consecrated in 1900. <br /> <br /> The bells at St. Anne's are a 'carillon' comprising eight tubular bells struck by wooden-headed hammers operated by one person. They were restored for the millennium by a member of the congregation. The pulpit is made of Caen stone and alabaster, while the high altar is of marble and alabaster and there are some stained glass windows.<br /> <br /> St Anne's is associated with one of the prophecies of the Brahan Seer, who is said to have predicted that 'when five spires should rise in Strathpeffer, ships will sail over the village and anchor to them.' The proposal to build an Episcopal Church in Strathpeffer brought objections, for in the 19th century there were already four spires in the village. But the church was built anyway, complete with spire. <br /> <br /> Shortly after World War 1, a small airship appeared at the Strathpeffer Games. In attempting to land, it dropped a grapnel which became entangled in one of the village spires, thus providing a fulfilment to the Brahan Seer's prophecy.