Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Strome Castle and Loch Carron
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1149
PLACENAME
Strome Ferry
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33072
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
Wester Ross
castles
promontories
lochs
ferries
Strome Castle and Loch Carron

This postcard shows a view of Loch Carron with the ruins of Strome Castle on the right. The castle was built in the 15th century on a strategic promontory overlooking the mouth of the inner loch. It passed to the Camerons of Lochiel and then to the Macdonells of Glengarry before being captured and virtually destroyed by the Mackenzies of Kintail in 1602. The ruin was taken over by the National Trust for Scotland in 1939.

Loch Carron is a sea loch in two parts, with an inner and an outer loch separated by the promontory on which Strome Castle sits. Across the narrows from the castle, on the southern shores of the loch, lies the village of Stromeferry which takes its name from the ferry service which once operated there.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Strome Castle and Loch Carron

ROSS: Lochalsh

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Wester Ross; castles; promontories; lochs; ferries

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of Loch Carron with the ruins of Strome Castle on the right. The castle was built in the 15th century on a strategic promontory overlooking the mouth of the inner loch. It passed to the Camerons of Lochiel and then to the Macdonells of Glengarry before being captured and virtually destroyed by the Mackenzies of Kintail in 1602. The ruin was taken over by the National Trust for Scotland in 1939.<br /> <br /> Loch Carron is a sea loch in two parts, with an inner and an outer loch separated by the promontory on which Strome Castle sits. Across the narrows from the castle, on the southern shores of the loch, lies the village of Stromeferry which takes its name from the ferry service which once operated there.