Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Carron from Strome Ferry
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1150
PLACENAME
Strome Ferry
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33073
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
Wester Ross
lochs
ferries
promontories
castles
villages
railways
railroads
railway lines
riots
roads
Stromeferry
Loch Carron from Strome Ferry

This postcard shows a view of Loch Carron in Wester Ross. The village of Strome Ferry, or Stromeferry, lies on the southern shores of the loch and takes its name from the ferry service which once operated there. It lies across the narrows from North Strome, a promontory which juts out into Loch Carron, separating the inner and the outer lochs. The ruins of Strome Castle are at North Strome, opposite the village.

The ferry was used mainly by local people until 1809 when the Commission for Highland Roads and Bridges constructed an access road along the north shore of Loch Carron to link up with the Achnasheen to Inverness route. The road took ten years to complete. During this period mail carriers used to attract the attention of the Strome ferrymen by blowing a horn when they needed to cross.

The original small settlement expanded rapidly when the Dingwall and Skye Line of the Highland Railway was built in 1870 with its terminus at Stromeferry. The village became a hive of activity, with regular steamer services to Skye, Lewis and mainland villages meeting the trains. The improved services were also used to transport mail, fish and cattle and the railway company decided to run Sunday trains. This offended members of the local population who were opposed to working on the Sabbath and the situation resulted in the Strome Ferry Riot of 1883.

In 1897, the railway line was extended from Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh. Much of the traffic transferred to Kyle and Stromeferry declined in importance. However, the ferry across the narrows continued until 1970 when a new road round the head of Loch Carron was completed. Signs for the village now read, 'Stromeferry (No Ferry)'.

When the Kyle road was closed by landslides in 2012, however, the ferry at Strome was reinstated briefly for foot passengers, especially school children, saving them a very long daily road journey.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Carron from Strome Ferry

ROSS: Lochalsh

1930s

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Wester Ross; lochs; ferries; promontories; castles; villages; railways; railroads; railway lines; riots; roads; Stromeferry

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of Loch Carron in Wester Ross. The village of Strome Ferry, or Stromeferry, lies on the southern shores of the loch and takes its name from the ferry service which once operated there. It lies across the narrows from North Strome, a promontory which juts out into Loch Carron, separating the inner and the outer lochs. The ruins of Strome Castle are at North Strome, opposite the village.<br /> <br /> The ferry was used mainly by local people until 1809 when the Commission for Highland Roads and Bridges constructed an access road along the north shore of Loch Carron to link up with the Achnasheen to Inverness route. The road took ten years to complete. During this period mail carriers used to attract the attention of the Strome ferrymen by blowing a horn when they needed to cross.<br /> <br /> The original small settlement expanded rapidly when the Dingwall and Skye Line of the Highland Railway was built in 1870 with its terminus at Stromeferry. The village became a hive of activity, with regular steamer services to Skye, Lewis and mainland villages meeting the trains. The improved services were also used to transport mail, fish and cattle and the railway company decided to run Sunday trains. This offended members of the local population who were opposed to working on the Sabbath and the situation resulted in the Strome Ferry Riot of 1883.<br /> <br /> In 1897, the railway line was extended from Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh. Much of the traffic transferred to Kyle and Stromeferry declined in importance. However, the ferry across the narrows continued until 1970 when a new road round the head of Loch Carron was completed. Signs for the village now read, 'Stromeferry (No Ferry)'.<br /> <br /> When the Kyle road was closed by landslides in 2012, however, the ferry at Strome was reinstated briefly for foot passengers, especially school children, saving them a very long daily road journey.