Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
A glimpse of Strome Ferry Hotel from Loch Carron

On this postcard can be seen the three-storey gabled villa formerly known as the Strome Ferry Hotel. On the shores of Loch Carron, the building was designed by Alexander Ross and built about 1872, with alterations made in 1882. It was convenient for both rail and ferry passengers, being near Stromeferry station and close to the old jetty for the ferry service which once operated there. In the 1990s the building was badly damaged by fire but is now being renovated.

Stromeferry lies across the narrows from North Strome, a promontory which juts out into Loch Carron, separating the inner and the outer lochs and providing a convenient crossing place. The ruins of Strome Castle are at North Strome, opposite the village.

The original small settlement expanded rapidly when the Dingwall and Skye Line of the Highland Railway was built in 1870 with its terminus at Stromeferry. The village became a hive of activity, with regular steamer services to Skye, Lewis and mainland villages meeting the trains. The improved services were also used to transport mail, fish and cattle and the railway company decided to run Sunday trains. This offended members of the local population who were opposed to working on the Sabbath and the situation resulted in the Strome Ferry Riot of 1883.

In 1897, the railway line was extended from Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh. Much of the traffic transferred to Kyle and Stromeferry declined in importance. However, the ferry across the narrows continued until 1970 when a new road round the head of Loch Carron was completed. Signs for the village now read, 'Stromeferry (No Ferry)'.

When the Kyle road was closed by landslides in 2012, however, the ferry at Strome was reinstated briefly for foot passengers, especially school children, saving them a very long daily road journey.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

A glimpse of Strome Ferry Hotel from Loch Carron

ROSS: Lochalsh

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Wester Ross; hotels; lochs; railways; ferries; castles; villages; steamers; riots; roads; Stromeferry

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

On this postcard can be seen the three-storey gabled villa formerly known as the Strome Ferry Hotel. On the shores of Loch Carron, the building was designed by Alexander Ross and built about 1872, with alterations made in 1882. It was convenient for both rail and ferry passengers, being near Stromeferry station and close to the old jetty for the ferry service which once operated there. In the 1990s the building was badly damaged by fire but is now being renovated.<br /> <br /> Stromeferry lies across the narrows from North Strome, a promontory which juts out into Loch Carron, separating the inner and the outer lochs and providing a convenient crossing place. The ruins of Strome Castle are at North Strome, opposite the village.<br /> <br /> The original small settlement expanded rapidly when the Dingwall and Skye Line of the Highland Railway was built in 1870 with its terminus at Stromeferry. The village became a hive of activity, with regular steamer services to Skye, Lewis and mainland villages meeting the trains. The improved services were also used to transport mail, fish and cattle and the railway company decided to run Sunday trains. This offended members of the local population who were opposed to working on the Sabbath and the situation resulted in the Strome Ferry Riot of 1883.<br /> <br /> In 1897, the railway line was extended from Stromeferry to Kyle of Lochalsh. Much of the traffic transferred to Kyle and Stromeferry declined in importance. However, the ferry across the narrows continued until 1970 when a new road round the head of Loch Carron was completed. Signs for the village now read, 'Stromeferry (No Ferry)'.<br /> <br /> When the Kyle road was closed by landslides in 2012, however, the ferry at Strome was reinstated briefly for foot passengers, especially school children, saving them a very long daily road journey.