Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
River and links from Alexandra Bridge, Tain

This postcard shows a view of the River Tain and the links, an area of recreational space between the railway line at Tain and the shore. The photograph was taken from the Alexandra Bridge, manufactured in 1902 by Rose Street Foundry, Inverness, and giving pedestrian access to Tain beach from the links.

Located on the southern shores of the Dornoch Firth, Tain claims to be Scotland's oldest royal burgh. The origin of the name 'Tain' is uncertain but the town's Gaelic name 'Baile Dhubhthaich' indicates its links with Duthus or Duthac, an early medieval saint who was born there.

According to tradition, Tain was granted its first trading privileges by Malcolm Canmore in 1066. Its privileges were later confirmed by James VI in 1587 and extended by Charles II in 1675. Tain's burgh status meant that its merchants were exempt from paying certain types of taxes and Tain flourished as a market town for the whole surrounding area.

Today, Tain remains a thriving town with a population of around 4000. Among its buildings of interest are Tain Tolbooth and St Duthus Collegiate Church, which now forms part of the 'Tain Through Time' visitor centre.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

River and links from Alexandra Bridge, Tain

ROSS: Tain

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Easter Ross; rivers; bridges; towns; burghs; saints; shrines; pilgrims; sanctuaries; royal charters; market towns; churches; vistor centres; museums

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of the River Tain and the links, an area of recreational space between the railway line at Tain and the shore. The photograph was taken from the Alexandra Bridge, manufactured in 1902 by Rose Street Foundry, Inverness, and giving pedestrian access to Tain beach from the links.<br /> <br /> Located on the southern shores of the Dornoch Firth, Tain claims to be Scotland's oldest royal burgh. The origin of the name 'Tain' is uncertain but the town's Gaelic name 'Baile Dhubhthaich' indicates its links with Duthus or Duthac, an early medieval saint who was born there. <br /> <br /> According to tradition, Tain was granted its first trading privileges by Malcolm Canmore in 1066. Its privileges were later confirmed by James VI in 1587 and extended by Charles II in 1675. Tain's burgh status meant that its merchants were exempt from paying certain types of taxes and Tain flourished as a market town for the whole surrounding area. <br /> <br /> Today, Tain remains a thriving town with a population of around 4000. Among its buildings of interest are Tain Tolbooth and St Duthus Collegiate Church, which now forms part of the 'Tain Through Time' visitor centre.