Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Looking north from the Tower, Tain
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1182
PLACENAME
Tain
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Tain
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33105
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
Easter Ross
streets
towers
tolbooths
jails
towns
burghs
saints
royal charters
market towns
Looking north from the Tower, Tain

This postcard shows a view of Tower Street in Tain. It is named after the Tower which dominates the centre of the town. The original Tower or Tolbooth was built in 1630 to house court offices and a jail, and as a place where tolls and taxes were collected. This building fell into ruin and the present building, housing the original tower's Flemish curfew bell, was built between 1706 and 1733. Later, during the Clearances, Tain's Tolbooth was used as an administrative centre.

Located on the southern shores of the Dornoch Firth, Tain claims to be Scotland's oldest royal burgh. The origin of the name 'Tain' is uncertain but the town's Gaelic name 'Baile Dhubhthaich' indicates its links with Duthus or Duthac, an early medieval saint who was born there.

According to tradition, Tain was granted its first trading privileges by Malcolm Canmore in 1066. Its privileges were later confirmed by James VI in 1587 and extended by Charles II in 1675. Tain's burgh status meant that its merchants were exempt from paying certain types of taxes and Tain flourished as a market town for the whole surrounding area. Today, Tain remains a thriving town with a population of around 4000.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Looking north from the Tower, Tain

ROSS: Tain

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Easter Ross; streets; towers; tolbooths; jails; towns; burghs; saints; royal charters; market towns

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of Tower Street in Tain. It is named after the Tower which dominates the centre of the town. The original Tower or Tolbooth was built in 1630 to house court offices and a jail, and as a place where tolls and taxes were collected. This building fell into ruin and the present building, housing the original tower's Flemish curfew bell, was built between 1706 and 1733. Later, during the Clearances, Tain's Tolbooth was used as an administrative centre. <br /> <br /> Located on the southern shores of the Dornoch Firth, Tain claims to be Scotland's oldest royal burgh. The origin of the name 'Tain' is uncertain but the town's Gaelic name 'Baile Dhubhthaich' indicates its links with Duthus or Duthac, an early medieval saint who was born there. <br /> <br /> According to tradition, Tain was granted its first trading privileges by Malcolm Canmore in 1066. Its privileges were later confirmed by James VI in 1587 and extended by Charles II in 1675. Tain's burgh status meant that its merchants were exempt from paying certain types of taxes and Tain flourished as a market town for the whole surrounding area. Today, Tain remains a thriving town with a population of around 4000.