Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
High Street from the east, Tain
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1188
PLACENAME
Tain
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Tain
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33111
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
Easter Ross
streets
towers
tolbooths
monuments
post offices
towns
burghs
saints
royal charters
market towns
High Street from the east, Tain

This postcard shows a view of the High Street in Tain, looking towards the Royal Hotel at the end of it. The building with the spires to the right of the hotel is the Tolbooth, built between 1706 and 1733 as the administrative centre for the town. On the near right of the photograph, beyond the Post Office, is the Murray Monument, erected in 1879 to the memory of Kenneth Murray of Geanies, a provost of Tain.

Located on the southern shores of the Dornoch Firth, Tain claims to be Scotland's oldest royal burgh. The origin of the name 'Tain' is uncertain but the town's Gaelic name 'Baile Dhubhthaich' indicates its links with Duthus or Duthac, an early medieval saint who was born there.

According to tradition, Tain was granted its first trading privileges by Malcolm Canmore in 1066. Its privileges were later confirmed by James VI in 1587 and extended by Charles II in 1675. Tain's burgh status meant that its merchants were exempt from paying certain types of taxes and Tain flourished as a market town for the whole surrounding area. Today, Tain remains a thriving town with a population of around 4000.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

High Street from the east, Tain

ROSS: Tain

1950s

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Easter Ross; streets; towers; tolbooths; monuments; post offices; towns; burghs; saints; royal charters; market towns

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows a view of the High Street in Tain, looking towards the Royal Hotel at the end of it. The building with the spires to the right of the hotel is the Tolbooth, built between 1706 and 1733 as the administrative centre for the town. On the near right of the photograph, beyond the Post Office, is the Murray Monument, erected in 1879 to the memory of Kenneth Murray of Geanies, a provost of Tain.<br /> <br /> Located on the southern shores of the Dornoch Firth, Tain claims to be Scotland's oldest royal burgh. The origin of the name 'Tain' is uncertain but the town's Gaelic name 'Baile Dhubhthaich' indicates its links with Duthus or Duthac, an early medieval saint who was born there. <br /> <br /> According to tradition, Tain was granted its first trading privileges by Malcolm Canmore in 1066. Its privileges were later confirmed by James VI in 1587 and extended by Charles II in 1675. Tain's burgh status meant that its merchants were exempt from paying certain types of taxes and Tain flourished as a market town for the whole surrounding area. Today, Tain remains a thriving town with a population of around 4000.