Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ruins of St Duthus Chapel, Tain
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1190
PLACENAME
Tain
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Tain
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33113
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
Easter Ross
chapels
churches
graveyards
shrines
pilgrims
sanctuaries
Ruins of St Duthus Chapel, Tain

This postcard shows the ruins of the old St Duthus Chapel which stand near the shore in Tain within the old town graveyard. St Duthus or Duthac was born in Tain around 1000 AD. He died in Ireland but his remains were returned to Tain and buried in the original St Duthus Chapel, said to have been built on the site of his birth. His shrine became an important place of pilgrimage.

The town also acted as a sanctuary, for the Girth of Tain, an area of twelve square miles around the shrine, was under the protection of the church. The sanctuary was, for the most part, observed with respect, but on at least two occasions it was violated. In 1306 Robert the Bruce sent his family to Tain for safety, but William, Earl of Ross, ignored the sanctuary and handed them over to the English. In 1427 a local outlaw evaded the right of sanctuary when he set fire to the roof of the chapel, in which an enemy had taken refuge. This event hastened the completion of the collegiate church in the centre of the town, to which the relics of St Duthus were moved. The collegiate church also became a place of pilgrimage, its most famous visitor being King James IV, and Tain became a well-known ecclesiastical centre.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ruins of St Duthus Chapel, Tain

ROSS: Tain

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Easter Ross; chapels; churches; graveyards; shrines; pilgrims; sanctuaries

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the ruins of the old St Duthus Chapel which stand near the shore in Tain within the old town graveyard. St Duthus or Duthac was born in Tain around 1000 AD. He died in Ireland but his remains were returned to Tain and buried in the original St Duthus Chapel, said to have been built on the site of his birth. His shrine became an important place of pilgrimage. <br /> <br /> The town also acted as a sanctuary, for the Girth of Tain, an area of twelve square miles around the shrine, was under the protection of the church. The sanctuary was, for the most part, observed with respect, but on at least two occasions it was violated. In 1306 Robert the Bruce sent his family to Tain for safety, but William, Earl of Ross, ignored the sanctuary and handed them over to the English. In 1427 a local outlaw evaded the right of sanctuary when he set fire to the roof of the chapel, in which an enemy had taken refuge. This event hastened the completion of the collegiate church in the centre of the town, to which the relics of St Duthus were moved. The collegiate church also became a place of pilgrimage, its most famous visitor being King James IV, and Tain became a well-known ecclesiastical centre.