Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Manse Street, looking north, Tain
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1198
PLACENAME
Tain
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Tain
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33121
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
Easter Ross
streets
towns
churches
glebes
towns
burghs
saints
royal charters
market towns
Manse Street, looking north, Tain

This postcard shows Manse Street in Tain, with St Andrew's Church at the far end. The area on the left of the street was originally the church glebe and is now a housing development comprising Glebe Crescent, Manse Crescent and St Andrew's Road.

Located on the southern shores of the Dornoch Firth, Tain claims to be Scotland's oldest royal burgh. The origin of the name 'Tain' is uncertain but the town's Gaelic name 'Baile Dhubhthaich' indicates its links with Duthus or Duthac, an early medieval saint who was born there.

According to tradition, Tain was granted its first trading privileges by Malcolm Canmore in 1066. Its privileges were later confirmed by James VI in 1587 and extended by Charles II in 1675. Tain's burgh status meant that its merchants were exempt from paying certain types of taxes and Tain flourished as a market town for the whole surrounding area. Today, Tain remains a thriving town with a population of around 4000.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Manse Street, looking north, Tain

ROSS: Tain

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Easter Ross; streets; towns; churches; glebes; towns; burghs; saints; royal charters; market towns

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Manse Street in Tain, with St Andrew's Church at the far end. The area on the left of the street was originally the church glebe and is now a housing development comprising Glebe Crescent, Manse Crescent and St Andrew's Road. <br /> <br /> Located on the southern shores of the Dornoch Firth, Tain claims to be Scotland's oldest royal burgh. The origin of the name 'Tain' is uncertain but the town's Gaelic name 'Baile Dhubhthaich' indicates its links with Duthus or Duthac, an early medieval saint who was born there. <br /> <br /> According to tradition, Tain was granted its first trading privileges by Malcolm Canmore in 1066. Its privileges were later confirmed by James VI in 1587 and extended by Charles II in 1675. Tain's burgh status meant that its merchants were exempt from paying certain types of taxes and Tain flourished as a market town for the whole surrounding area. Today, Tain remains a thriving town with a population of around 4000.