Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Old Sampling Pavilion, Strathpeffer
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1214_AT
PLACENAME
Strathpeffer
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fodderty
DATE OF IMAGE
2008
PERIOD
2000s
CREATOR
Andrew Taylor
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
33137
KEYWORDS
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
mineral waters
spring waters
pump rooms
spas
spa resorts
alternative medicine
complementary medicine
railways
tourism
museums
entertainment
buildings
architecture
Old Sampling Pavilion, Strathpeffer

This photograph shows the old sampling pavilion in the village of Strathpeffer.

Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. It owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. A Dr Morrison from Aberdeenshire publicised the healing powers of the waters at the beginning of the 19th century and, on his recommendation, the first wooden pump room was built in 1819. It stood in the village square to allow visitors to partake of the waters in various ways. Originally there were a few jugs available for drinking, and basic copper baths. In 1861 a strong stone pump room replaced the original wooden building; new bath-rooms were added in 1871 and ten years later the 'Ladies' Baths' were erected.

With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, Strathpeffer developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'. These improved facilities meant that Strathpeffer could compete with other spa towns in Britain and Europe. Until World War I the village was a major visitor attraction but thereafter its popularity declined.

The main Pump Room was demolished in the 1950s but the Upper Pump Room, next to the Pavilion, still remains. It now houses a range of interpretive displays which reveal the history behind the development of the Spa and visitors can again sample the healing waters. Strathpeffer is once more popular with tourists, its large Victorian hotels and guesthouses providing accommodation for visitors touring the Highlands. Among the village's other attractions are a scenic golf course, the Museum of Childhood and the Strathpeffer Spa Pavilion.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Old Sampling Pavilion, Strathpeffer

ROSS: Fodderty

2000s

Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; mineral waters; spring waters; pump rooms; spas; spa resorts; alternative medicine; complementary medicine; railways; tourism; museums; entertainment; buildings; architecture

Andrew Taylor

This photograph shows the old sampling pavilion in the village of Strathpeffer.<br /> <br /> Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. It owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. A Dr Morrison from Aberdeenshire publicised the healing powers of the waters at the beginning of the 19th century and, on his recommendation, the first wooden pump room was built in 1819. It stood in the village square to allow visitors to partake of the waters in various ways. Originally there were a few jugs available for drinking, and basic copper baths. In 1861 a strong stone pump room replaced the original wooden building; new bath-rooms were added in 1871 and ten years later the 'Ladies' Baths' were erected. <br /> <br /> With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, Strathpeffer developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'. These improved facilities meant that Strathpeffer could compete with other spa towns in Britain and Europe. Until World War I the village was a major visitor attraction but thereafter its popularity declined.<br /> <br /> The main Pump Room was demolished in the 1950s but the Upper Pump Room, next to the Pavilion, still remains. It now houses a range of interpretive displays which reveal the history behind the development of the Spa and visitors can again sample the healing waters. Strathpeffer is once more popular with tourists, its large Victorian hotels and guesthouses providing accommodation for visitors touring the Highlands. Among the village's other attractions are a scenic golf course, the Museum of Childhood and the Strathpeffer Spa Pavilion.