Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
The Highland Hotel, Strathpeffer

This postcard shows the Highland Hotel, Strathpeffer. It was built by the Highland Railway Company to its standard design in 1911 and overlooked the main Pump Room in the centre of the village. The towers of the Pump Room are partially obscured by a tree on the right of the picture. The Strathpeffer Pavilion lies across the road on the left.

The image shows that construction of the hotel was not quite complete. Many of the windows are still whitewashed or covered in protective tape, the balcony between ground and first floors has no railing or arching beneath it yet and the words "Highland Hotel" have still to be fixed to the building - all of these features were there from the time of opening. Also, builders’ planks can be seen lying around.

Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. It owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. A Dr Morrison from Aberdeenshire publicised the healing powers of the waters at the beginning of the 19th century and, on his recommendation, the first wooden pump room was built in 1819. In 1861 a strong stone pump room replaced the original wooden building.

With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, Strathpeffer developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'. These improved facilities meant that Strathpeffer could compete with other spa towns in Britain and Europe. Until World War I the village was a major visitor attraction but thereafter its popularity declined.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Highland Hotel, Strathpeffer

ROSS: Fodderty

1910s

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; mineral waters; spring waters; pump rooms; spas; spa resorts; alternative medicine; complementary medicine; railways; tourism; museums; entertainment; hotels; accommodation

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the Highland Hotel, Strathpeffer. It was built by the Highland Railway Company to its standard design in 1911 and overlooked the main Pump Room in the centre of the village. The towers of the Pump Room are partially obscured by a tree on the right of the picture. The Strathpeffer Pavilion lies across the road on the left.<br /> <br /> The image shows that construction of the hotel was not quite complete. Many of the windows are still whitewashed or covered in protective tape, the balcony between ground and first floors has no railing or arching beneath it yet and the words "Highland Hotel" have still to be fixed to the building - all of these features were there from the time of opening. Also, builders’ planks can be seen lying around.<br /> <br /> Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. It owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. A Dr Morrison from Aberdeenshire publicised the healing powers of the waters at the beginning of the 19th century and, on his recommendation, the first wooden pump room was built in 1819. In 1861 a strong stone pump room replaced the original wooden building.<br /> <br /> With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, Strathpeffer developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'. These improved facilities meant that Strathpeffer could compete with other spa towns in Britain and Europe. Until World War I the village was a major visitor attraction but thereafter its popularity declined.<br />