Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The Ben Wyvis Hotel, Strathpeffer
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1249
PLACENAME
Strathpeffer
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fodderty
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33175
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
mineral waters
spring waters
pump rooms
spas
spa resorts
alternative medicine
complementary medicine
railways
tourism
museums
The Ben Wyvis Hotel, Strathpeffer

This postcard shows the Ben Wyvis Hotel in the village of Strathpeffer. It is set in extensive grounds, with gracious entrance gates leading the visitor up an avenue to the porticoed entrance. Constructed over the ten years leading up to 1887, it was built to accommodate some of Strathpeffer's more up-market visitors during its hey-day as a spa resort. Robert Louis Stevenson features in its guest list.

Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. It owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. A Dr Morrison from Aberdeenshire publicised the healing powers of the waters at the beginning of the 19th century and, on his recommendation, the first wooden pump room was built in 1819. In 1861 a strong stone pump room replaced the original wooden building.

With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, Strathpeffer developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'. These improved facilities meant that Strathpeffer could compete with other spa towns in Britain and Europe. Until World War I the village was a major visitor attraction but thereafter its popularity declined.

The main Pump Room was demolished in the 1950s but the Upper Pump Room, next to the Pavilion, still remains. It now houses a range of interpretive displays which reveal the history behind the development of the Spa and visitors can again sample the healing waters. Strathpeffer is once more popular with tourists, its large Victorian hotels and guesthouses providing accommodation for visitors touring the Highlands. Among the village's other attractions are a scenic golf course, the Museum of Childhood and the Strathpeffer Spa Pavilion.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The Ben Wyvis Hotel, Strathpeffer

ROSS: Fodderty

1950s

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; mineral waters; spring waters; pump rooms; spas; spa resorts; alternative medicine; complementary medicine; railways; tourism; museums

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the Ben Wyvis Hotel in the village of Strathpeffer. It is set in extensive grounds, with gracious entrance gates leading the visitor up an avenue to the porticoed entrance. Constructed over the ten years leading up to 1887, it was built to accommodate some of Strathpeffer's more up-market visitors during its hey-day as a spa resort. Robert Louis Stevenson features in its guest list.<br /> <br /> Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. It owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. A Dr Morrison from Aberdeenshire publicised the healing powers of the waters at the beginning of the 19th century and, on his recommendation, the first wooden pump room was built in 1819. In 1861 a strong stone pump room replaced the original wooden building.<br /> <br /> With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, Strathpeffer developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'. These improved facilities meant that Strathpeffer could compete with other spa towns in Britain and Europe. Until World War I the village was a major visitor attraction but thereafter its popularity declined.<br /> <br /> The main Pump Room was demolished in the 1950s but the Upper Pump Room, next to the Pavilion, still remains. It now houses a range of interpretive displays which reveal the history behind the development of the Spa and visitors can again sample the healing waters. Strathpeffer is once more popular with tourists, its large Victorian hotels and guesthouses providing accommodation for visitors touring the Highlands. Among the village's other attractions are a scenic golf course, the Museum of Childhood and the Strathpeffer Spa Pavilion.