Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Strathpeffer from Ben Wyvis Hotel

This postcard, posted in 1926, shows a view of Strathpeffer from the grounds of the Ben Wyvis Hotel. The church on the left of the picture is that of the Free Church of Scotland and was opened in 1886. The Ben Wyvis Hotel was opened in 1887 to accommodate some of Strathpeffer's more up-market visitors during its hey-day as a spa resort. It is set in extensive grounds, with gracious entrance gates leading the visitor up an avenue to the porticoed entrance.

Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. The valley is sheltered on the north side by Ben Wyvis (3431 feet, 1046 metres), and to the west by the mountains of Ross-shire. The narrow ridge of the Cat's Back (Druim Chat) marks its southern boundary. The River Peffery flows eastward into the Cromarty Firth.

Strathpeffer owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. A Dr Morrison from Aberdeenshire publicised the healing powers of the waters at the beginning of the 19th century and, on his recommendation, the first pump room was built in 1819. With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, Strathpeffer developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'. Until World War I the village was a major visitor attraction but thereafter its popularity declined.

Today, Strathpeffer is once more popular with tourists, its large Victorian hotels and guesthouses providing accommodation for visitors touring the Highlands. Among the village's attractions are a scenic golf course, the Museum of Childhood, the Strathpeffer Spa Pavilion and the Upper Pump Room, where visitors can again sample the healing waters.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Strathpeffer from Ben Wyvis Hotel

ROSS: Fodderty

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; mineral waters; spring waters; pump rooms; spas; spa resorts; alternative medicine; complementary medicine; railways; tourism; museums; villages

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard, posted in 1926, shows a view of Strathpeffer from the grounds of the Ben Wyvis Hotel. The church on the left of the picture is that of the Free Church of Scotland and was opened in 1886. The Ben Wyvis Hotel was opened in 1887 to accommodate some of Strathpeffer's more up-market visitors during its hey-day as a spa resort. It is set in extensive grounds, with gracious entrance gates leading the visitor up an avenue to the porticoed entrance.<br /> <br /> Strathpeffer lies 4 miles (6 km) west of Dingwall in the strath of the River Peffery. The valley is sheltered on the north side by Ben Wyvis (3431 feet, 1046 metres), and to the west by the mountains of Ross-shire. The narrow ridge of the Cat's Back (Druim Chat) marks its southern boundary. The River Peffery flows eastward into the Cromarty Firth.<br /> <br /> Strathpeffer owes its growth and popularity to the discovery of sulphurous springs there in the 1770s. A Dr Morrison from Aberdeenshire publicised the healing powers of the waters at the beginning of the 19th century and, on his recommendation, the first pump room was built in 1819. With the strong support of the then Countess of Cromartie, Strathpeffer developed as a Victorian spa resort, its popularity greatly enhanced by the opening of the Strathpeffer branch of the Dingwall and Skye Railway in 1885. Many grand hotels and substantial Victorian villas were built to accommodate the steady stream of visitors who came to 'take the waters'. Until World War I the village was a major visitor attraction but thereafter its popularity declined.<br /> <br /> Today, Strathpeffer is once more popular with tourists, its large Victorian hotels and guesthouses providing accommodation for visitors touring the Highlands. Among the village's attractions are a scenic golf course, the Museum of Childhood, the Strathpeffer Spa Pavilion and the Upper Pump Room, where visitors can again sample the healing waters.