Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
View from the Golf Links, Strathpeffer
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1305
PLACENAME
Strathpeffer
DISTRICT
Dingwall
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fodderty
PERIOD
1900s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33233
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
spas
spa resorts
tourism
golf courses
mountains
View from the Golf Links, Strathpeffer

This postcard belongs to Raphael Tuck's 'Oilette' series and depicts a view from the golf links in Strathpeffer. Strathpeffer Spa Golf Club was founded in 1888 when the village was in its prime as a spa resort. The golf course lies in Ulladale on hilly land belonging to the Cromartie Estate and offers the golfer the challenge of many natural hazards as well as panoramic views westward to the Fannich hills and eastward down the Peffery valley to the Cromarty Firth and Black Isle.

The course was originally built over 9 holes but Tom Morris of St Andrews was invited to lay out an 18-hole course in 1896. The inward half was redesigned in 1907-1908 and the layout of the course has remained virtually unchanged since this period.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

View from the Golf Links, Strathpeffer

ROSS: Fodderty

1900s

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; spas; spa resorts; tourism; golf courses; mountains

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries - Illustrated postcards

This postcard belongs to Raphael Tuck's 'Oilette' series and depicts a view from the golf links in Strathpeffer. Strathpeffer Spa Golf Club was founded in 1888 when the village was in its prime as a spa resort. The golf course lies in Ulladale on hilly land belonging to the Cromartie Estate and offers the golfer the challenge of many natural hazards as well as panoramic views westward to the Fannich hills and eastward down the Peffery valley to the Cromarty Firth and Black Isle.<br /> <br /> The course was originally built over 9 holes but Tom Morris of St Andrews was invited to lay out an 18-hole course in 1896. The inward half was redesigned in 1907-1908 and the layout of the course has remained virtually unchanged since this period.