Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Looking to Achnasheen from Loch Rosque
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1316
PLACENAME
Achnasheen
DISTRICT
Muir of Ord
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Contin
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33244
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
Wester Ross
villages
hamlets
settlements
lochs
cattle droving
railways
railroads
railway lines
valleys
Ice Age
Looking to Achnasheen from Loch Rosque

This postcard shows the tiny settlement of Achnasheen as seen from Loch Rosque. Achnasheen is situated at the junction of the roads from Gairloch and from Kyle of Lochalsh on their way east to Inverness. Traditionally these routes were used by cattle drovers crossing the country on their way to market. Evidence of this remains in the name Loch Rosque which is a corruption of the Gaelic 'Loch a'Chroisg', meaning 'loch of the crossing'. In the early 19th century roads were built close to the drovers' routes by the engineer Thomas Telford.

The railway came to Achnasheen in 1870 when the Dingwall and Skye Line of the Highland Railway was opened. The railway company built the Achnasheen Hotel right next to the eastbound platform of the station but the building was destroyed by fire in the early 1990s. The railway still operates today but is used mainly by tourists who come to admire the beautiful scenery.

Achnasheen's name comes from the Gaelic for 'field of the storms'. This name may have been acquired because the village sits in the broad valley of the River Bran where there is very little shelter. The village is also known for the Achnasheen Terraces, a good example of glacial outwash deltas which were formed thousands of years ago.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Looking to Achnasheen from Loch Rosque

ROSS: Contin

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Wester Ross; villages; hamlets; settlements; lochs; cattle droving; railways; railroads; railway lines; valleys; Ice Age

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the tiny settlement of Achnasheen as seen from Loch Rosque. Achnasheen is situated at the junction of the roads from Gairloch and from Kyle of Lochalsh on their way east to Inverness. Traditionally these routes were used by cattle drovers crossing the country on their way to market. Evidence of this remains in the name Loch Rosque which is a corruption of the Gaelic 'Loch a'Chroisg', meaning 'loch of the crossing'. In the early 19th century roads were built close to the drovers' routes by the engineer Thomas Telford. <br /> <br /> The railway came to Achnasheen in 1870 when the Dingwall and Skye Line of the Highland Railway was opened. The railway company built the Achnasheen Hotel right next to the eastbound platform of the station but the building was destroyed by fire in the early 1990s. The railway still operates today but is used mainly by tourists who come to admire the beautiful scenery.<br /> <br /> Achnasheen's name comes from the Gaelic for 'field of the storms'. This name may have been acquired because the village sits in the broad valley of the River Bran where there is very little shelter. The village is also known for the Achnasheen Terraces, a good example of glacial outwash deltas which were formed thousands of years ago.