Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Mam Soul from the south side of Loch Affric
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1322
PLACENAME
Glen Affric
DISTRICT
Aird
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmorack
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33250
KEYWORDS
postcards
Inverness-shire
hills
mountains
lochs
glens
forests
nature reserves
Caledonian pine
Mam Soul from the south side of Loch Affric

This postcard shows the snow-capped mountain called Mam Soul, or Mam Sodhail, which overlooks Loch Affric. A Munro of 3875 feet (1181 metres), its Gaelic name means 'hill of the barns'. The cairn on its summit was the first triangulation point used by the Ordnance Survey in the 1840s. Mam Sodhail stands beside Carn Eighe on the north side of Glen Affric between Loch Affric and Loch Mullardoch.

Glen Affric runs in a north-east to south-west direction west of Loch Ness and south-west of Cannich and is now a designated National Nature Reserve, part of one of the largest continuous tracts of native Scots pine forest in Scotland.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mam Soul from the south side of Loch Affric

INVERNESS: Kilmorack

1930s

postcards; Inverness-shire; hills; mountains; lochs; glens; forests; nature reserves; Caledonian pine

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the snow-capped mountain called Mam Soul, or Mam Sodhail, which overlooks Loch Affric. A Munro of 3875 feet (1181 metres), its Gaelic name means 'hill of the barns'. The cairn on its summit was the first triangulation point used by the Ordnance Survey in the 1840s. Mam Sodhail stands beside Carn Eighe on the north side of Glen Affric between Loch Affric and Loch Mullardoch. <br /> <br /> Glen Affric runs in a north-east to south-west direction west of Loch Ness and south-west of Cannich and is now a designated National Nature Reserve, part of one of the largest continuous tracts of native Scots pine forest in Scotland.