Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Quay Street and Caledonian Hotel, Ullapool
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1362
PLACENAME
Ullapool
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
PERIOD
1930s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33288
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
Wester Ross
streets
hotels
clocks
monuments
memorials
villages
harbours
quays
piers
ferries
tourism
tourists
Quay Street and Caledonian Hotel, Ullapool

This postcard shows Quay Street and the Caledonian Hotel in Ullapool. The Caledonian Hotel was built in 1922 and is one of the oldest in the area. Standing in the road, just to the right of the hotel, is the Fowler Memorial Clock. It was erected in 1899 in memory of Sir John Arthur Fowler (1817-1898) and his family who lived at Braemore House near Corrieshalloch Gorge. In the 1960s the clock was moved to West Argyle Street because of complaints that it was causing traffic congestion.

The building on the right of the photograph, at the junction with Shore Street, probably dates back to 1789 and was originally known as the 'Great Store'. It was one of the many warehouses erected when the village was set up by the British Fisheries Society. The area outside it was known as the 'Corner of the Store' and was a traditional meeting place for the locals. Today the building is used as a shop called 'The Captain's Cabin' which sells books, crafts and souvenirs.

The village of Ullapool is situated on the northern shore of Loch Broom. It began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford for the British Fisheries Society to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. The streets were laid out on a grid pattern and some of the new buildings included curing sheds, storehouses, a pier and a schoolhouse.

Although the herring fishing industry declined in the 19th century, Ullapool continues to thrive because of its harbour. Today it is the terminus of the car ferry service from Stornoway and a popular tourist centre.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Quay Street and Caledonian Hotel, Ullapool

ROSS: Lochbroom

1930s

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Wester Ross; streets; hotels; clocks; monuments; memorials; villages; harbours; quays; piers; ferries; tourism; tourists

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Quay Street and the Caledonian Hotel in Ullapool. The Caledonian Hotel was built in 1922 and is one of the oldest in the area. Standing in the road, just to the right of the hotel, is the Fowler Memorial Clock. It was erected in 1899 in memory of Sir John Arthur Fowler (1817-1898) and his family who lived at Braemore House near Corrieshalloch Gorge. In the 1960s the clock was moved to West Argyle Street because of complaints that it was causing traffic congestion.<br /> <br /> The building on the right of the photograph, at the junction with Shore Street, probably dates back to 1789 and was originally known as the 'Great Store'. It was one of the many warehouses erected when the village was set up by the British Fisheries Society. The area outside it was known as the 'Corner of the Store' and was a traditional meeting place for the locals. Today the building is used as a shop called 'The Captain's Cabin' which sells books, crafts and souvenirs.<br /> <br /> The village of Ullapool is situated on the northern shore of Loch Broom. It began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford for the British Fisheries Society to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. The streets were laid out on a grid pattern and some of the new buildings included curing sheds, storehouses, a pier and a schoolhouse.<br /> <br /> Although the herring fishing industry declined in the 19th century, Ullapool continues to thrive because of its harbour. Today it is the terminus of the car ferry service from Stornoway and a popular tourist centre.