Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Quay Street and Caledonian Hotel, Ullapool
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1363
PLACENAME
Ullapool
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33289
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
Wester Ross
streets
hotels
clocks
monuments
memorials
villages
harbours
quays
piers
ferries
tourism
tourists
Quay Street and Caledonian Hotel, Ullapool

This postcard shows Quay Street and the Caledonian Hotel in Ullapool. The Caledonian Hotel was built in 1922 and is one of the oldest in the area. Standing in the road, just to the right of the hotel, is the Fowler Memorial Clock. It was erected in 1899 in memory of Sir John Arthur Fowler (1817-1898) and his family who lived at Braemore House near Corrieshalloch Gorge. In the 1960s the clock was moved to West Argyle Street because of complaints that it was causing traffic congestion.

The village of Ullapool is situated on the northern shore of Loch Broom. It began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford for the British Fisheries Society to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. The streets were laid out on a grid pattern and some of the new buildings included curing sheds, storehouses, a pier and a schoolhouse.

Although the herring fishing industry declined in the 19th century, Ullapool continues to thrive because of its harbour. Today it is the terminus of the car ferry service from Stornoway and a popular tourist centre.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Quay Street and Caledonian Hotel, Ullapool

ROSS: Lochbroom

1950s

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Wester Ross; streets; hotels; clocks; monuments; memorials; villages; harbours; quays; piers; ferries; tourism; tourists

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows Quay Street and the Caledonian Hotel in Ullapool. The Caledonian Hotel was built in 1922 and is one of the oldest in the area. Standing in the road, just to the right of the hotel, is the Fowler Memorial Clock. It was erected in 1899 in memory of Sir John Arthur Fowler (1817-1898) and his family who lived at Braemore House near Corrieshalloch Gorge. In the 1960s the clock was moved to West Argyle Street because of complaints that it was causing traffic congestion.<br /> <br /> The village of Ullapool is situated on the northern shore of Loch Broom. It began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford for the British Fisheries Society to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. The streets were laid out on a grid pattern and some of the new buildings included curing sheds, storehouses, a pier and a schoolhouse.<br /> <br /> Although the herring fishing industry declined in the 19th century, Ullapool continues to thrive because of its harbour. Today it is the terminus of the car ferry service from Stornoway and a popular tourist centre.