Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ullapool: four views in black and white
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1485
PLACENAME
Ullapool
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33406
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
Wester Ross
lochs
villages
harbours
ferries
tourism
tourists
island
isle
Ullapool: four views in black and white

This postcard shows four black and white photographs of Ullapool and Loch Broom.

Ullapool is situated on the northern shore of Loch Broom, pictured top left and top and bottom right. The name Broom comes from the Gaelic 'bhraoin', meaning 'place of rain showers'. The shores of Loch Broom are a mixture of woodland and rocky promontories and are noted for their many sheltered anchorages.

Ullapool began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford for the British Fisheries Society to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. Although the fishing industry declined in the 19th century, Ullapool continues to thrive because of its harbour. Today it is the terminus of the car ferry service from Stornoway and a popular tourist centre.

Pictured bottom left are the Summer Isles, just up the coast from Ullapool, opposite Achiltibuie. There are about two dozen small islands, some of which can be accessed by boat from Achiltibuie or Ullapool during the summer months. They are popular with nature lovers who come to see the birds, flowers, seals and porpoises.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ullapool: four views in black and white

ROSS: Lochbroom

1940s; 1950s

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Wester Ross; lochs; villages; harbours; ferries; tourism; tourists; island; isle

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows four black and white photographs of Ullapool and Loch Broom. <br /> <br /> Ullapool is situated on the northern shore of Loch Broom, pictured top left and top and bottom right. The name Broom comes from the Gaelic 'bhraoin', meaning 'place of rain showers'. The shores of Loch Broom are a mixture of woodland and rocky promontories and are noted for their many sheltered anchorages. <br /> <br /> Ullapool began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford for the British Fisheries Society to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. Although the fishing industry declined in the 19th century, Ullapool continues to thrive because of its harbour. Today it is the terminus of the car ferry service from Stornoway and a popular tourist centre. <br /> <br /> Pictured bottom left are the Summer Isles, just up the coast from Ullapool, opposite Achiltibuie. There are about two dozen small islands, some of which can be accessed by boat from Achiltibuie or Ullapool during the summer months. They are popular with nature lovers who come to see the birds, flowers, seals and porpoises.