Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Ullapool and the Ullapool River
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1489
PLACENAME
Ullapool
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33410
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
Wester Ross
villages
rivers
peninsulas
hills
mountains
harbours
ferries
hillwalkers
tourists
tourism
Ullapool and the Ullapool River

This postcard shows the village of Ullapool and the mouth of the Ullapool River. The river flows west from Loch Achall into Loch Broom and is good for trout and salmon fishing. Across the water on the Scoraig Peninsula is Beinn Ghobhlach, a double-topped ridge which reaches a height of 2083 feet (635 metres).

Ullapool began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford for the British Fisheries Society to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. The streets were laid out on a grid pattern and some of the new buildings included curing sheds, storehouses, a pier and a schoolhouse.

At first, the new fishing village was a success but in the early 19th century the herring deserted Loch Broom and by the 1830s the industry was in decline. In the 20th century, however, Ullapool's harbour found a new role as the east coast fishing fleet began to use it as a safe anchorage in the west.

In the 1970s and 1980s the village's economy was also helped by the arrival of East European factory ships. These have now gone but the harbour remains a focal point in the village, being the terminus for the car ferry service from Stornoway. The spectacular scenery and the many hillwalking opportunities in the surrounding area make Ullapool a popular tourist centre.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Ullapool and the Ullapool River

ROSS: Lochbroom

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Wester Ross; villages; rivers; peninsulas; hills; mountains; harbours; ferries; hillwalkers; tourists; tourism

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the village of Ullapool and the mouth of the Ullapool River. The river flows west from Loch Achall into Loch Broom and is good for trout and salmon fishing. Across the water on the Scoraig Peninsula is Beinn Ghobhlach, a double-topped ridge which reaches a height of 2083 feet (635 metres).<br /> <br /> Ullapool began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford for the British Fisheries Society to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. The streets were laid out on a grid pattern and some of the new buildings included curing sheds, storehouses, a pier and a schoolhouse.<br /> <br /> At first, the new fishing village was a success but in the early 19th century the herring deserted Loch Broom and by the 1830s the industry was in decline. In the 20th century, however, Ullapool's harbour found a new role as the east coast fishing fleet began to use it as a safe anchorage in the west. <br /> <br /> In the 1970s and 1980s the village's economy was also helped by the arrival of East European factory ships. These have now gone but the harbour remains a focal point in the village, being the terminus for the car ferry service from Stornoway. The spectacular scenery and the many hillwalking opportunities in the surrounding area make Ullapool a popular tourist centre.