Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aerial photograph of Ullapool and the Braes of Ullapool
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1492
PLACENAME
Ullapool
DISTRICT
Lochbroom
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochbroom
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33413
KEYWORDS
postcards
Ross-shire
Ross and Cromarty
Wester Ross
villages
lochs
harbours
ferries
hillwalkers
tourists
tourism
aerial photographs
Aerial photograph of Ullapool and the Braes of Ullapool

This postcard shows an aerial photograph of the village of Ullapool and the Braes of Ullapool. Ullapool is situated on the northern shore of Loch Broom. It began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford for the British Fisheries Society to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. The streets were laid out on a grid pattern and some of the new buildings included curing sheds, storehouses, a pier and a schoolhouse.

At first, the new fishing village was a success but in the early 19th century the herring deserted Loch Broom and by the 1830s the industry was in decline. In the 20th century, however, Ullapool's harbour found a new role as the east coast fishing fleet began to use it as a safe anchorage in the west.

In the 1970s and 1980s the village's economy was also helped by the arrival of East European factory ships. These have now gone but the harbour remains a focal point in the village, being the terminus for the car ferry service from Stornoway. The spectacular scenery and the many hillwalking opportunities in the surrounding area make Ullapool a popular tourist centre.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aerial photograph of Ullapool and the Braes of Ullapool

ROSS: Lochbroom

1960s

postcards; Ross-shire; Ross and Cromarty; Wester Ross; villages; lochs; harbours; ferries; hillwalkers; tourists; tourism; aerial photographs

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows an aerial photograph of the village of Ullapool and the Braes of Ullapool. Ullapool is situated on the northern shore of Loch Broom. It began in 1788 as a planned village, designed by Thomas Telford for the British Fisheries Society to exploit the boom in the herring fishing industry. The streets were laid out on a grid pattern and some of the new buildings included curing sheds, storehouses, a pier and a schoolhouse.<br /> <br /> At first, the new fishing village was a success but in the early 19th century the herring deserted Loch Broom and by the 1830s the industry was in decline. In the 20th century, however, Ullapool's harbour found a new role as the east coast fishing fleet began to use it as a safe anchorage in the west. <br /> <br /> In the 1970s and 1980s the village's economy was also helped by the arrival of East European factory ships. These have now gone but the harbour remains a focal point in the village, being the terminus for the car ferry service from Stornoway. The spectacular scenery and the many hillwalking opportunities in the surrounding area make Ullapool a popular tourist centre.