Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Salmon Fishing on the Kyle, Bonar Bridge
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1849
PLACENAME
Bonar Bridge
DISTRICT
Dornoch and Creich
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Creich
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33770
KEYWORDS
boat
rowing boat
net
fishing net
fishing
dukes of sutherland
bridges
Salmon Fishing on the Kyle, Bonar Bridge

Bonar Bridge, a village in Easter Ross, is situated on the Kyle of Sutherland approximately 21 km west of Dornoch. There was a prosperous salmon netting industry in Bonar Bridge until concerns about fish stocks forced its demise.

The bridge seen in this image was designed by William Arrol and constructed in 1893. It was built after the original bridge, designed by Thomas Telford and constructed between 1811 and 12, was destroyed by floods in 1892. A third bridge, replacing the William Arrol structure, was erected in 1973.

Prior to the building of Telford's bridge, people crossing the water used the ferry at Meikle Ferry, 14 km to the east of Bonar. In 1809 an overloaded ferry was swamped, leading to the loss of over 100 lives, and the bridge at Bonar was constructed soon after.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Salmon Fishing on the Kyle, Bonar Bridge

SUTHERLAND: Creich

boat; rowing boat; net; fishing net; fishing; dukes of sutherland; bridges

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Bonar Bridge, a village in Easter Ross, is situated on the Kyle of Sutherland approximately 21 km west of Dornoch. There was a prosperous salmon netting industry in Bonar Bridge until concerns about fish stocks forced its demise. <br /> <br /> The bridge seen in this image was designed by William Arrol and constructed in 1893. It was built after the original bridge, designed by Thomas Telford and constructed between 1811 and 12, was destroyed by floods in 1892. A third bridge, replacing the William Arrol structure, was erected in 1973. <br /> <br /> Prior to the building of Telford's bridge, people crossing the water used the ferry at Meikle Ferry, 14 km to the east of Bonar. In 1809 an overloaded ferry was swamped, leading to the loss of over 100 lives, and the bridge at Bonar was constructed soon after.