Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Brora and Carrol Rock, Brora
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_1866
PLACENAME
Brora
DISTRICT
Kildonan, Loth and Clyne
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Clyne
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
33787
KEYWORDS
Loch Brora and Carrol Rock, Brora

Postcard of Loch Brora and Carrol Rock near the village of Brora.

Loch Brora lies on the River Brora, 4 miles (6.5 km) north west of Brora. It is nearly 4½ miles (7 km) in length.

Brora (Scottish Gaelic: Brùra) is a village in the east of Sutherland, in the Highland area of Scotland. The village is on the A9 road and has a railway station on the Far North Line.

A small industrial village having at one time a coal pit, boat building, fishing, salt mining, fish curing, lemonade factory, Clynelish Single Malt distillery, wool mill, bricks and a stone quarry. Stone from the quarry was used in the construction of London Bridge, Liverpool Cathedral and Dunrobin Castle. The coalmine was the farthest north coalmine in the UK.

A Government Radio Receiving Station was in operation between 1940 and 1986 and it was the first town in the north of Scotland to have electricity, thanks to its wool industry. This distinction gave rise to the local nickname of "Electric City" at the time. Local football club Brora Rangers was founded in 1879 and moved to present stadium, Dudgeon Park, in 1922.

Sutherland is a registration county, lieutenancy area and historic administrative county of Scotland. It is now within the Highland local government area.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Brora and Carrol Rock, Brora

SUTHERLAND: Clyne

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

Postcard of Loch Brora and Carrol Rock near the village of Brora.<br /> <br /> Loch Brora lies on the River Brora, 4 miles (6.5 km) north west of Brora. It is nearly 4½ miles (7 km) in length.<br /> <br /> Brora (Scottish Gaelic: Brùra) is a village in the east of Sutherland, in the Highland area of Scotland. The village is on the A9 road and has a railway station on the Far North Line.<br /> <br /> A small industrial village having at one time a coal pit, boat building, fishing, salt mining, fish curing, lemonade factory, Clynelish Single Malt distillery, wool mill, bricks and a stone quarry. Stone from the quarry was used in the construction of London Bridge, Liverpool Cathedral and Dunrobin Castle. The coalmine was the farthest north coalmine in the UK. <br /> <br /> A Government Radio Receiving Station was in operation between 1940 and 1986 and it was the first town in the north of Scotland to have electricity, thanks to its wool industry. This distinction gave rise to the local nickname of "Electric City" at the time. Local football club Brora Rangers was founded in 1879 and moved to present stadium, Dudgeon Park, in 1922.<br /> <br /> Sutherland is a registration county, lieutenancy area and historic administrative county of Scotland. It is now within the Highland local government area.