Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Alsh and Castle Moil, from Kyleakin, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_2286
PLACENAME
Kyleakin
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Strath
PERIOD
1950s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
34186
KEYWORDS
ferry
castle
loch
Loch Alsh and Castle Moil, from Kyleakin, Isle of Skye

One of the car ferries on the Kyle to Kyleakin crossing lies at anchor below the ruined walls of Castle Moil, or Maol. By the 1950s, larger ferries accommodating more cars were working the Skye to mainland route. However, as cars became more widely owned and in the busy summer months, long queues would build up on each side through the villages of Kyle and Kyleakin. Since the Skye Bridge was opened in 1995, and Caledonian MacBrayne was forced to withdraw the ferry service, the only route "over the sea to Skye" from the mainland is by the small summer-only ferry at Kylerhea.

The card is stamped and postmarked Inverness, 25 August 1956, and the sender writes : "Have now reached the Isle of Skye. Roads are practically non-existant, but scenery very beautiful"

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Alsh and Castle Moil, from Kyleakin, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Strath

1950s

ferry; castle; loch

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

One of the car ferries on the Kyle to Kyleakin crossing lies at anchor below the ruined walls of Castle Moil, or Maol. By the 1950s, larger ferries accommodating more cars were working the Skye to mainland route. However, as cars became more widely owned and in the busy summer months, long queues would build up on each side through the villages of Kyle and Kyleakin. Since the Skye Bridge was opened in 1995, and Caledonian MacBrayne was forced to withdraw the ferry service, the only route "over the sea to Skye" from the mainland is by the small summer-only ferry at Kylerhea.<br /> <br /> The card is stamped and postmarked Inverness, 25 August 1956, and the sender writes : "Have now reached the Isle of Skye. Roads are practically non-existant, but scenery very beautiful"