Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Slate and desk
EXTERNAL ID
AB_HFM_SCHOOL_006
PLACENAME
Newtonmore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
CREATOR
Clare Maclean
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
342
KEYWORDS
Desk
desks
slates
slate
chalk board
slate pencils
chalk
chalks
1930s
tuberculosis
Slate and desk

Desks in the classroom at Knockbain School at the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore. On the desks are slates and cloths which would have been used by the younger children of the school. They were used with slate pencils or chalks and wiped clean between exercises. The school at the museum depicts the 1930s era when slates were common in some areas but not others. It is thought that Inverness-shire possibly took them out of use in the 1920s because of the risk of spreading tuberculosis by the practice of spitting on the slates to clean them.

The school was originally erected about 1925 at Knockbain by Kirkhill, 13 kilometres from Inverness and was moved to the museum in 1998, opening in spring 2000. It is a pre-fabricated, timber framed, iron-clad building of a kind that was common in Scotland from the mid-1800s and measures 12 metres by 6 metres. It encloses 4 timber board rooms, namely a large classroom with a range to provide heat, a cloakroom with 3 washbasins, a small teacher's room and an adjoining teacher's toilet. The picture shows the large windows incorporated into the building to give a light, airy interior.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Slate and desk

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

Desk; desks; slates; slate; chalk board; slate pencils; chalk; chalks; 1930s; tuberculosis

Am Baile

Highland Folk Museum Schoolhouse

Desks in the classroom at Knockbain School at the Highland Folk Museum in Newtonmore. On the desks are slates and cloths which would have been used by the younger children of the school. They were used with slate pencils or chalks and wiped clean between exercises. The school at the museum depicts the 1930s era when slates were common in some areas but not others. It is thought that Inverness-shire possibly took them out of use in the 1920s because of the risk of spreading tuberculosis by the practice of spitting on the slates to clean them.<br /> <br /> The school was originally erected about 1925 at Knockbain by Kirkhill, 13 kilometres from Inverness and was moved to the museum in 1998, opening in spring 2000. It is a pre-fabricated, timber framed, iron-clad building of a kind that was common in Scotland from the mid-1800s and measures 12 metres by 6 metres. It encloses 4 timber board rooms, namely a large classroom with a range to provide heat, a cloakroom with 3 washbasins, a small teacher's room and an adjoining teacher's toilet. The picture shows the large windows incorporated into the building to give a light, airy interior.