Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunvegan Church and Loch, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_2422
PLACENAME
Dunvegan
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
DATE OF IMAGE
1951
PERIOD
1950s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
34328
KEYWORDS
village
loch
McLeod
Dunvegan Church and Loch, Skye

The tidal waters and many small islands make Dunvegan Loch difficult to navigate for larger vessels, however steamers called regularly in the days when road travel was even more hazardous and lengthy than it is today. The church pictured, Duirinish Parish Church, was built in 1832 by John Norman, the 24th Chief of the MacLeods, to replace St Mary's, the ruined church situated on the outskirts of the village.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunvegan Church and Loch, Skye

INVERNESS: Duirinish

1950s

village; loch; McLeod

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

The tidal waters and many small islands make Dunvegan Loch difficult to navigate for larger vessels, however steamers called regularly in the days when road travel was even more hazardous and lengthy than it is today. The church pictured, Duirinish Parish Church, was built in 1832 by John Norman, the 24th Chief of the MacLeods, to replace St Mary's, the ruined church situated on the outskirts of the village.