Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree, Skye. (From Golf Course)
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_2467
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1910s; 1920s
CREATOR
J Valentine & Co.
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
34372
KEYWORDS
village
school
mill pond
Portree, Skye. (From Golf Course)

This general view of Portree from the west looks over the village towards Portree Bay, with Ben Tianavaig on the right, Ben Chracaig on the left and the island of Raasay in the background. The large building in the left foreground was once a Poorhouse, but was opened as the Margaret Carnegie girls' Hostel in 1924, for High School pupils living too far from home to travel each day. Just behind and to the right of the hostel is Portree High School itself. This attractive Victorian building was demolished in the early 1970s, to be replaced by a much larger school, typical of the period, which itself is due for demolition when current building work for another new school on the site is completed in 2008.

Portree has also expanded since this photograph was taken, with houses now lining each side of the approach road to the village towards the school, as well as developments stretching inland from the harbour. The mill pond can be seen in the foreground here and the golf course has closed, part of it replaced by a shinty pitch and club house. Portree is continuing to expand, and although some would say it is not changing for the better, facilities have certainly improved as the population has risen

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree, Skye. (From Golf Course)

INVERNESS: Portree

1910s; 1920s

village; school; mill pond

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This general view of Portree from the west looks over the village towards Portree Bay, with Ben Tianavaig on the right, Ben Chracaig on the left and the island of Raasay in the background. The large building in the left foreground was once a Poorhouse, but was opened as the Margaret Carnegie girls' Hostel in 1924, for High School pupils living too far from home to travel each day. Just behind and to the right of the hostel is Portree High School itself. This attractive Victorian building was demolished in the early 1970s, to be replaced by a much larger school, typical of the period, which itself is due for demolition when current building work for another new school on the site is completed in 2008.<br /> <br /> Portree has also expanded since this photograph was taken, with houses now lining each side of the approach road to the village towards the school, as well as developments stretching inland from the harbour. The mill pond can be seen in the foreground here and the golf course has closed, part of it replaced by a shinty pitch and club house. Portree is continuing to expand, and although some would say it is not changing for the better, facilities have certainly improved as the population has risen