Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree from the Golf Course, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_2469
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1940s; 1950s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
34374
KEYWORDS
village
school
bay
hospital
Portree from the Golf Course, Isle of Skye

This general view of Portree from the west looks over the village towards Portree Bay, with Ben Tianavaig on the right, Ben Chracaig on the left and the island of Raasay in the background. The large building in the centre foreground was once a Poorhouse, but was opened as the Margaret Carnegie girls' Hostel in 1924, for High School pupils living too far from home to travel each day. Just behind and to the right of the hostel, close to trees, is Portree High School itself. This attractive Victorian building was demolished in the early 1970s, to be replaced by a much larger school, typical of the period, which itself is due for demolition when current building work for another new school on the site is completed in 2008.

The mill pond with its sluice gate can be seen in the foreground here and the golf course, opened in 1905, has since closed, part of it replaced by a shinty pitch and club house. The building on the left foreground was the Ross Memorial Hospital at the time the photograph was taken, however a more modern hospital was built at Bayfield, close to the Meall, and the old Fever Hospital was developed into an Art Centre, An Tuireann

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree from the Golf Course, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1940s; 1950s

village; school; bay; hospital

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This general view of Portree from the west looks over the village towards Portree Bay, with Ben Tianavaig on the right, Ben Chracaig on the left and the island of Raasay in the background. The large building in the centre foreground was once a Poorhouse, but was opened as the Margaret Carnegie girls' Hostel in 1924, for High School pupils living too far from home to travel each day. Just behind and to the right of the hostel, close to trees, is Portree High School itself. This attractive Victorian building was demolished in the early 1970s, to be replaced by a much larger school, typical of the period, which itself is due for demolition when current building work for another new school on the site is completed in 2008.<br /> <br /> The mill pond with its sluice gate can be seen in the foreground here and the golf course, opened in 1905, has since closed, part of it replaced by a shinty pitch and club house. The building on the left foreground was the Ross Memorial Hospital at the time the photograph was taken, however a more modern hospital was built at Bayfield, close to the Meall, and the old Fever Hospital was developed into an Art Centre, An Tuireann