Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bayfield, Portree, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_2472
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1930s; 1940s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
34377
KEYWORDS
village
houses
bay
Bayfield, Portree, Isle of Skye

The small croft houses of Bayfield are dotted along the shore, below the slopes of the wooded Meall, or Lump, a peninsula jutting out into Portree Bay and laid out with shrubs and trees in the 1830s. In the 1851 census, the row of houses was registered as Sligneach, "shelly" in Gaelic, but thereafter was known as Bayfield. It was also the location of a salmon fishing station and the drying greens for nets are still there, although the strips of land behind each house have since been absorbed into the site of the hospital. Portree had just begun to expand into the surrounding countryside, with the first council house developments built on what was then the outskirts of the village, visible on the left

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bayfield, Portree, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1930s; 1940s

village; houses; bay

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

The small croft houses of Bayfield are dotted along the shore, below the slopes of the wooded Meall, or Lump, a peninsula jutting out into Portree Bay and laid out with shrubs and trees in the 1830s. In the 1851 census, the row of houses was registered as Sligneach, "shelly" in Gaelic, but thereafter was known as Bayfield. It was also the location of a salmon fishing station and the drying greens for nets are still there, although the strips of land behind each house have since been absorbed into the site of the hospital. Portree had just begun to expand into the surrounding countryside, with the first council house developments built on what was then the outskirts of the village, visible on the left