Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Evening Reflections, Portree, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_2491
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1920s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
34397
KEYWORDS
village
harbour
church
jail
Evening Reflections, Portree, Isle of Skye

This peaceful scene at Portree harbour gives little indication of the hive of activity which attended the arrival and departure of the mail boat, passenger steamers or the herring fleet. The construction of a pier and quay in the 1820s, was followed by an expansion in the village of Portree itself, with slate roofed houses replacing the thatched, and hotels and other businesses catering for the expanding tourist market. The elegant terrace of houses on the right, Beaumont Crescent, was built along the north side of the harbour by a Captain Beaumont and advertised in 1839 as "neatly furnished and well adapted for respectable families".

Behind the terrace can be seen the Black Memorial Hall, the South Church as it was known then, with the Bank House on the left. The latter featured in a book by Isobel Macdonald, "A Family in Skye", in which she describes growing up in the house from 1908 to 1916.

The photograph also shows Douglas Row and Quay Street, with the Ice House on the corner of Beaumont Crescent and Quay Street, and the Gathering Hall and Meall House, the old jail, behind. The photograph was taken from the shore at Cuddy Point, or Sròn nan Cudaigean, named after the juvenile coalfish (Saithe or Coley) often caught off the rocks here

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Evening Reflections, Portree, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1920s

village; harbour; church; jail

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This peaceful scene at Portree harbour gives little indication of the hive of activity which attended the arrival and departure of the mail boat, passenger steamers or the herring fleet. The construction of a pier and quay in the 1820s, was followed by an expansion in the village of Portree itself, with slate roofed houses replacing the thatched, and hotels and other businesses catering for the expanding tourist market. The elegant terrace of houses on the right, Beaumont Crescent, was built along the north side of the harbour by a Captain Beaumont and advertised in 1839 as "neatly furnished and well adapted for respectable families". <br /> <br /> Behind the terrace can be seen the Black Memorial Hall, the South Church as it was known then, with the Bank House on the left. The latter featured in a book by Isobel Macdonald, "A Family in Skye", in which she describes growing up in the house from 1908 to 1916. <br /> <br /> The photograph also shows Douglas Row and Quay Street, with the Ice House on the corner of Beaumont Crescent and Quay Street, and the Gathering Hall and Meall House, the old jail, behind. The photograph was taken from the shore at Cuddy Point, or Sròn nan Cudaigean, named after the juvenile coalfish (Saithe or Coley) often caught off the rocks here