Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Pay attention to the teacher
EXTERNAL ID
AB_HFM_SCHOOL_009
PLACENAME
Newtonmore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
CREATOR
Clare Maclean
SOURCE
Am Baile
ASSET ID
344
KEYWORDS
desk
desks
slate
slates
chalkboards
library cupboard
library cupboards
textile companies
Pay attention to the teacher

The interior of the classroom of Knockbain School in the Highland Folk Museum during a representation of a 1930s style lesson. The school was moved from Kirkhill Parish, 8 miles west of Inverness to the museum at Newtonmore, Inverness-shire in the Highlands of Scotland in 1998 and opened in 2000. The desks were found in the building, having been stored there after it ceased to be used as a school. Although there is room for 45 desks, it is probable that only around 16 were used at one time. On the desks are the slates and cloths used by the younger pupils.

Behind the teacher is a cupboard which was used for books. This was one of the many library cupboards donated to schools across Scotland by the textile company, Coates of Paisley, some of which are still in use today. Note the large windows which provided a good amount of light.

The school was originally erected about 1925 at Knockbain by Kirkhill, 13 kilometres from Inverness and was moved to the museum in 1998, opening in spring 2000. It is a pre-fabricated, timber framed, iron-clad building of a kind that was common in Scotland from the mid-1800s and measures 12 metres by 6 metres. It encloses 4 timber board rooms, namely a large classroom with a range to provide heat, a cloakroom with 3 washbasins, a small teacher's room and an adjoining teacher's toilet. The picture shows the large windows incorporated into the building to give a light, airy interior.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Pay attention to the teacher

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

desk; desks; slate; slates; chalkboards; library cupboard; library cupboards; textile companies

Am Baile

Highland Folk Museum Schoolhouse

The interior of the classroom of Knockbain School in the Highland Folk Museum during a representation of a 1930s style lesson. The school was moved from Kirkhill Parish, 8 miles west of Inverness to the museum at Newtonmore, Inverness-shire in the Highlands of Scotland in 1998 and opened in 2000. The desks were found in the building, having been stored there after it ceased to be used as a school. Although there is room for 45 desks, it is probable that only around 16 were used at one time. On the desks are the slates and cloths used by the younger pupils. <br /> <br /> Behind the teacher is a cupboard which was used for books. This was one of the many library cupboards donated to schools across Scotland by the textile company, Coates of Paisley, some of which are still in use today. Note the large windows which provided a good amount of light.<br /> <br /> The school was originally erected about 1925 at Knockbain by Kirkhill, 13 kilometres from Inverness and was moved to the museum in 1998, opening in spring 2000. It is a pre-fabricated, timber framed, iron-clad building of a kind that was common in Scotland from the mid-1800s and measures 12 metres by 6 metres. It encloses 4 timber board rooms, namely a large classroom with a range to provide heat, a cloakroom with 3 washbasins, a small teacher's room and an adjoining teacher's toilet. The picture shows the large windows incorporated into the building to give a light, airy interior.