Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree from Sgeir Point, Isle of Skye
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_2493
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1970s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
34400
KEYWORDS
village
harbour
hotel
school
Portree from Sgeir Point, Isle of Skye

The architecture of the 1960s and ' 70s is beginning to have an impact on the predominantly 19th century appearance of the village of Portree, in this card postmarked 1976. The "X" hovers over the modern block which replaced the part of the Royal Hotel destroyed by fire in 1963. The hotel stands on the site of a much older Inn, patronised briefly by Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1746, and the building pictured in Daniell's print of 1819 was subsequently replaced by a much grander establishment which dominated Bank Street and offered fine views of the harbour and Portree Bay. The clock tower and balcony of the 19th century facade were not reinstated after the fire. Portree High School stands in the right background, another product of the 1960s. The previous school building, started in 1872 and gradually enlarged over the years, was a feature of the village, but as pupil numbers outgrew the accommodation available, it was replaced and demolished in the late 1960s. The replacement too is due for demolition in 2008. Years of leaking roofs, temporary huts as classrooms, and lack of an assembly hall, are about to be addressed. The new community school, on the same site, also houses a swimming pool and public library. Whether the building standards will be an improvement on those of the 1960s remain to be seen, but neither building is likely to be remembered with the same affection as their predecessor

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree from Sgeir Point, Isle of Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1970s

village; harbour; hotel; school

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

The architecture of the 1960s and ' 70s is beginning to have an impact on the predominantly 19th century appearance of the village of Portree, in this card postmarked 1976. The "X" hovers over the modern block which replaced the part of the Royal Hotel destroyed by fire in 1963. The hotel stands on the site of a much older Inn, patronised briefly by Bonnie Prince Charlie in 1746, and the building pictured in Daniell's print of 1819 was subsequently replaced by a much grander establishment which dominated Bank Street and offered fine views of the harbour and Portree Bay. The clock tower and balcony of the 19th century facade were not reinstated after the fire. Portree High School stands in the right background, another product of the 1960s. The previous school building, started in 1872 and gradually enlarged over the years, was a feature of the village, but as pupil numbers outgrew the accommodation available, it was replaced and demolished in the late 1960s. The replacement too is due for demolition in 2008. Years of leaking roofs, temporary huts as classrooms, and lack of an assembly hall, are about to be addressed. The new community school, on the same site, also houses a swimming pool and public library. Whether the building standards will be an improvement on those of the 1960s remain to be seen, but neither building is likely to be remembered with the same affection as their predecessor