Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Sligachan and Sgurr nan Gillean
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_2541
PLACENAME
Sligachan, Sconser
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1910s; 1920s
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
34447
KEYWORDS
mountaineering
hotel
Sligachan and Sgurr nan Gillean

This postcard of the hotel at Sligachan, with Sgurr nan Gillean (965m) behind, was published by G.P. Abraham, Ltd. of Keswick. The company was owned by the Abraham brothers, George and Ashley, who were very influential early rock climbers as well as photographers, and regular visitors to Sligachan on Skye.

The hotel is situated in splendid isolation close to where the roads from Dunvegan, Portree and Broadford converge. Once a droving inn, it became the centre for climbing on the island in the mid-19th century, with an enviable reputation for comfort at the end of a challenging day on the mountains. In Rock-Climbing in Skye by Ashley P. Abraham, published in 1908, the Sligachan Inn as it was known then is described as "a capital place. Its manager, Mr Campbell, has an excellent knowledge of the requirements of climbers, and spares no pains to make them comfortable." The Campbell family still own Sligachan Hotel, which has been extensively altered and enlarged over the years, while retaining some of the character of an old inn. The camping site across the road now caters for climbers and walkers of all backgrounds, rather than just the well-heeled who frequented the hotel in days gone by

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Sligachan and Sgurr nan Gillean

INVERNESS: Portree

1910s; 1920s

mountaineering; hotel

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard of the hotel at Sligachan, with Sgurr nan Gillean (965m) behind, was published by G.P. Abraham, Ltd. of Keswick. The company was owned by the Abraham brothers, George and Ashley, who were very influential early rock climbers as well as photographers, and regular visitors to Sligachan on Skye.<br /> <br /> The hotel is situated in splendid isolation close to where the roads from Dunvegan, Portree and Broadford converge. Once a droving inn, it became the centre for climbing on the island in the mid-19th century, with an enviable reputation for comfort at the end of a challenging day on the mountains. In Rock-Climbing in Skye by Ashley P. Abraham, published in 1908, the Sligachan Inn as it was known then is described as "a capital place. Its manager, Mr Campbell, has an excellent knowledge of the requirements of climbers, and spares no pains to make them comfortable." The Campbell family still own Sligachan Hotel, which has been extensively altered and enlarged over the years, while retaining some of the character of an old inn. The camping site across the road now caters for climbers and walkers of all backgrounds, rather than just the well-heeled who frequented the hotel in days gone by