Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Drawing Room fire place, Cawdor Castle

This postcard shows the drawing room in Cawdor Castle. It is a half-panelled room with a beamed ceiling. The magnificent fireplace showing the Calder (Cawdor) family emblems of a stag's head and buckle was installed in 1684. Easy chairs and occasional furniture are scattered throughout the room, while on the walls various family portraits and tapestries are displayed.

According to Shakespeare's 'Macbeth', Cawdor Castle was the scene of King Duncan's death, but Macbeth died in 1052, several centuries before the present castle was built. In 1454 Thane William of Calder received a royal licence to build a castle at Cawdor. He built a simple four-storey tower house, which was later restyled with roof turrets.

The original family name was Calder but in 1510 Muriel Calder was forced to marry Sir John Campbell and the lands and title passed to the Campbell clan. In the late 17th century Sir Hugh Campbell of Cawdor made some major alterations and additions to the castle, not long before he and his family had to leave Cawdor because of their Jacobite sympathies. When they returned they began work on the restoration and conservation of the castle. Cawdor Castle is still home to the Cawdor family as well as being a significant visitor attraction.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Drawing Room fire place, Cawdor Castle

NAIRN: Cawdor

1930s

postcards; rooms; castles; drawing rooms; beamed ceilings; portrait; tapestry; fireplaces; Shakespeare; murder; tower houses; Campbells; clans; Jacobites; ancestral home; ancestral homes; mansions; mansion houses; tourism; visitor attractions

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the drawing room in Cawdor Castle. It is a half-panelled room with a beamed ceiling. The magnificent fireplace showing the Calder (Cawdor) family emblems of a stag's head and buckle was installed in 1684. Easy chairs and occasional furniture are scattered throughout the room, while on the walls various family portraits and tapestries are displayed.<br /> <br /> According to Shakespeare's 'Macbeth', Cawdor Castle was the scene of King Duncan's death, but Macbeth died in 1052, several centuries before the present castle was built. In 1454 Thane William of Calder received a royal licence to build a castle at Cawdor. He built a simple four-storey tower house, which was later restyled with roof turrets. <br /> <br /> The original family name was Calder but in 1510 Muriel Calder was forced to marry Sir John Campbell and the lands and title passed to the Campbell clan. In the late 17th century Sir Hugh Campbell of Cawdor made some major alterations and additions to the castle, not long before he and his family had to leave Cawdor because of their Jacobite sympathies. When they returned they began work on the restoration and conservation of the castle. Cawdor Castle is still home to the Cawdor family as well as being a significant visitor attraction.