Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
Mantelpiece in Dining Room, Cawdor Castle.

This postcard shows the dining room in Cawdor Castle. The stone mantelpiece was installed in 1671 with much difficulty. It was recorded that as they carried the stone in, the drawbridge at Cawdor fell, injuring 24 men. The mantelpiece commemorates the marriage in 1510 between Sir John Campbell and Muriel Calder. The carved work includes a heraldic shield and an enigmatic Latin inscription. Two brocade-covered chairs with woven and carved backs sit on either side of the hearth. The panelled walls are decorated with tapestries and a clock sits on a wall shelf.

According to Shakespeare's 'Macbeth', Cawdor Castle was the scene of King Duncan's death, but Macbeth died in 1052, several centuries before the present castle was built. In 1454 Thane William of Calder received a royal licence to build a castle at Cawdor. He built a simple four-storey tower house, which was later restyled with roof turrets.

The original family name was Calder but in 1510 Muriel Calder was forced to marry Sir John Campbell and the lands and title passed to the Campbell clan. In the late 17th century Sir Hugh Campbell of Cawdor made some major alterations and additions to the castle, not long before he and his family had to leave Cawdor because of their Jacobite sympathies. When they returned they began work on the restoration and conservation of the castle. Cawdor Castle is still home to the Cawdor family as well as being a significant visitor attraction.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Mantelpiece in Dining Room, Cawdor Castle.

NAIRN: Cawdor

postcards; castles; dining rooms; mantelpieces; fireplaces; drawbridges; heraldry; coats of arms; Shakespeare; murder; tower houses; Campbells; clans; Jacobites; ancestral home; ancestral homes; mansions; mansion houses; tourism; visitor attractions

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the dining room in Cawdor Castle. The stone mantelpiece was installed in 1671 with much difficulty. It was recorded that as they carried the stone in, the drawbridge at Cawdor fell, injuring 24 men. The mantelpiece commemorates the marriage in 1510 between Sir John Campbell and Muriel Calder. The carved work includes a heraldic shield and an enigmatic Latin inscription. Two brocade-covered chairs with woven and carved backs sit on either side of the hearth. The panelled walls are decorated with tapestries and a clock sits on a wall shelf. <br /> <br /> According to Shakespeare's 'Macbeth', Cawdor Castle was the scene of King Duncan's death, but Macbeth died in 1052, several centuries before the present castle was built. In 1454 Thane William of Calder received a royal licence to build a castle at Cawdor. He built a simple four-storey tower house, which was later restyled with roof turrets. <br /> <br /> The original family name was Calder but in 1510 Muriel Calder was forced to marry Sir John Campbell and the lands and title passed to the Campbell clan. In the late 17th century Sir Hugh Campbell of Cawdor made some major alterations and additions to the castle, not long before he and his family had to leave Cawdor because of their Jacobite sympathies. When they returned they began work on the restoration and conservation of the castle. Cawdor Castle is still home to the Cawdor family as well as being a significant visitor attraction.