Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Druid Stones and Temple, Clava, near Culloden Moor
EXTERNAL ID
QZP40_CARD_2758
PLACENAME
Culloden Moor
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
SOURCE
Highland Libraries
ASSET ID
34662
KEYWORDS
postcards
cairn
chambered cairn
ring cairns
standing stone
rivers
stone circles
stone kerbs
burial chamber
cremation
cremations
archaeology
Druid Stones and Temple, Clava, near Culloden Moor

This postcard shows the cairns and standing stones at Balnuaran of Clava by the River Nairn. There are three cairns at Clava: two chambered cairns and one ring cairn. These three form part of a line of seven cairns in the valley of the River Nairn and belong to a larger group of about 50 cairns in the inner Moray Firth area. They are each surrounded by a stone circle and called Clava Cairns after the cairns at Clava.

The two chambered cairns at Clava are known as passage graves: the inner chamber is linked to the outside world by a passage. Their passageways are aligned on the south west and the midwinter sunset. Each passage grave is surrounded by an outer kerb of larger stones, around which stands a circle of standing stones. The kerb stones and the standing stones are graded in size, becoming larger towards the south west. Cairns, or heaps of stones, were built up around the circular burial chambers.

The second type of Clava Cairn is the ring cairn. It has no passageway and would have been open at the top. Like the other cairns, it is surrounded by an outer kerb and a ring of standing stones. The central cairn at Clava is a ring cairn.

It was originally thought that the Clava Cairns date from the late-Neolithic period but recent excavation work suggests they may be later, possibly from the Bronze Age. Excavations in 1828, 1857 and the 1950s revealed pieces of pottery and flint and human bones, some of which were cremated. There is evidence to suggest that the site was of great significance and possibly reserved for people of high status.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Druid Stones and Temple, Clava, near Culloden Moor

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

postcards; cairn; chambered cairn; ring cairns; standing stone; rivers; stone circles; stone kerbs; burial chamber; cremation; cremations; archaeology

Highland Libraries

Highland Libraries' Postcard Collection

This postcard shows the cairns and standing stones at Balnuaran of Clava by the River Nairn. There are three cairns at Clava: two chambered cairns and one ring cairn. These three form part of a line of seven cairns in the valley of the River Nairn and belong to a larger group of about 50 cairns in the inner Moray Firth area. They are each surrounded by a stone circle and called Clava Cairns after the cairns at Clava.<br /> <br /> The two chambered cairns at Clava are known as passage graves: the inner chamber is linked to the outside world by a passage. Their passageways are aligned on the south west and the midwinter sunset. Each passage grave is surrounded by an outer kerb of larger stones, around which stands a circle of standing stones. The kerb stones and the standing stones are graded in size, becoming larger towards the south west. Cairns, or heaps of stones, were built up around the circular burial chambers.<br /> <br /> The second type of Clava Cairn is the ring cairn. It has no passageway and would have been open at the top. Like the other cairns, it is surrounded by an outer kerb and a ring of standing stones. The central cairn at Clava is a ring cairn.<br /> <br /> It was originally thought that the Clava Cairns date from the late-Neolithic period but recent excavation work suggests they may be later, possibly from the Bronze Age. Excavations in 1828, 1857 and the 1950s revealed pieces of pottery and flint and human bones, some of which were cremated. There is evidence to suggest that the site was of great significance and possibly reserved for people of high status.